* tramp: copying locally to remote and vice-versa
@ 2002-11-15 17:54 Michael P. Soulier
From: Michael P. Soulier @ 2002-11-15 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hey people.

    I've having a problem getting the syntax correct for copying files via
dired mode across the network using tramp. Could someone provide me with an
example?

    I have a remote dired buffer open thanks to tramp and ssh, and I open a
local one. Now I want to copy a local file to the remote session. I put the
cursor on the local file and hit C for copy, and I'm prompted for the
destination. Should it work if I just put in

/user@address:/path?

    Thanks,
    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix

* Re: tramp: copying locally to remote and vice-versa
@ 2002-11-15 18:33 ` Richard V. Molen
From: Richard V. Molen @ 2002-11-15 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca._nospam> writes:

>     Hey people.
>
>     I've having a problem getting the syntax correct for copying files via
> dired mode across the network using tramp. Could someone provide me with an
> example?
>
>     I have a remote dired buffer open thanks to tramp and ssh, and I open a
> local one. Now I want to copy a local file to the remote session. I put the
> cursor on the local file and hit C for copy, and I'm prompted for the
> destination. Should it work if I just put in
>
> /user@address:/path?

This syntax worked by ftping into the remote box, even though my tramp
setup is for 'smx' using ssh.  This worked better for me.

/[user@address]/path

--
Richard V. Molen

Warning!!
Signature under construction, safety glasses required.

* Re: tramp: copying locally to remote and vice-versa
@ 2002-11-16 16:35 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-16 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@storm.ca._nospam> writes:

>     I have a remote dired buffer open thanks to tramp and ssh, and I open a
> local one. Now I want to copy a local file to the remote session. I put the
> cursor on the local file and hit C for copy, and I'm prompted for the
> destination. Should it work if I just put in
>
> /user@address:/path?

That's supposed to work.  What happens when you try?

There might be a bug lurking in Emacs somewhere.  I remember there
were issues with copying from an Ange-FTP source to a Tramp target or
vice versa.

Now that I look at the code for copy-file, it says that it looks for
a filename handler for the source file first.  If none is found, it
looks for a filename handler for the target file.  So if both the
source and the target file have handlers, the first handler needs to
take care of communicating with the other handler.

kai