* cua-mode clobbers S-<cursor>
@ 2003-01-05 17:30 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-05 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I might like cua-mode a lot.  Alas, I have my own bindings
for S-<up> and S-<down> (they scroll by one line), which I need to
move elsewhere.  Alas, I can't think of another nicely mnemonic
keybinding for them.

Suggestions?

Oh, it should be somewhere in the cursor keys region; I already have
other bindings C-S-j and C-S-k for those cases where my hand is near
the home row.
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: cua-mode clobbers S-<cursor>
@ 2003-01-05 17:40 ` lawrence mitchell
From: lawrence mitchell @ 2003-01-05 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> I think I might like cua-mode a lot.  Alas, I have my own bindings
> for S-<up> and S-<down> (they scroll by one line), which I need to
> move elsewhere.  Alas, I can't think of another nicely mnemonic
> keybinding for them.

Hmm, now I'm intrigued as to what <up> and <down> do.  Scroll by
page?

If you don't use numlock, you might find that you can use
<kp-{up,down}>, although they're a bit far away.

--
lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* Re: cua-mode clobbers S-<cursor>
@ 2003-01-05 19:28   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-05 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>
>> I think I might like cua-mode a lot.  Alas, I have my own bindings
>> for S-<up> and S-<down> (they scroll by one line), which I need to
>> move elsewhere.  Alas, I can't think of another nicely mnemonic
>> keybinding for them.
>
> Hmm, now I'm intrigued as to what <up> and <down> do.  Scroll by
> page?

<up> and <down> do like C-p and C-n, respectively.

But maybe I could use C-<prior> and C-<next>, those are bound to
scroll-right and scroll-left by default; I only use these commands
once in a blue moon...

> If you don't use numlock, you might find that you can use
> <kp-{up,down}>, although they're a bit far away.

Yeah, too far away I think.
--

@ 2003-01-14 14:20     ` Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2003-01-14 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 05 Jan 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li> writes:
>
>> Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>>
>>> I think I might like cua-mode a lot.  Alas, I have my own bindings
>>> for S-<up> and S-<down> (they scroll by one line), which I need to
>>> move elsewhere.  Alas, I can't think of another nicely mnemonic
>>> keybinding for them.
>>
>> Hmm, now I'm intrigued as to what <up> and <down> do.  Scroll by
>> page?
>
> <up> and <down> do like C-p and C-n, respectively.

Do you mean then that you scroll the window up and down by one line,
but the cursor stays the on the same line?  If so, I have something
similar (I'd be interested to see yours), and I bind them to
<kp-subtract> and <kp-add>.  I know they're not necessarily next to
the cursor keys as you asked for, but they are quite easy to find for
me, as they are on the corner of the keyboard.

Obviously, I don't do a lot of number crunching, as those keys are now
useless unless overridden (as they are in calculator-mode).

In case anyone's interested, here's my version:

(defun scroll-in-place (scroll-up)
  "Scroll window up (or down) without moving point (if possible).

SCROLL-Up is non-nil to scroll up one line, nil to scroll down."
  (interactive)
  (let ((pos (point))
		(col (current-column))
		(up-or-down (if scroll-up 1 -1)))
	(scroll-up up-or-down)
	(if (pos-visible-in-window-p pos)
		(goto-char pos)
	  (if (or (eq last-command 'next-line)
			  (eq last-command 'previous-line))
		  (move-to-column temporary-goal-column)
		(move-to-column col)
		(setq temporary-goal-column col))
	  (setq this-command 'next-line))))

--
Regards,

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com

         Llama Fresh Farms => http://www.northbound-train.com
   Gay Media Resource List => http://www.northbound-train.com/gaymedia.html
            Perl for Win32 => http://www.northbound-train.com/perlwin32.html
               Emacs Stuff => http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html
          Music CD Trading => http://www.northbound-train.com/cdr.html
                       Live Free, that's the message!

* Re: cua-mode clobbers S-<cursor>
@ 2003-01-14 15:27       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-14 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:

> Do you mean then that you scroll the window up and down by one line,
> but the cursor stays the on the same line?

No, scroll-down-one-line is just like (scroll-down 1).  Works for me...
--
Ambibibentists unite!