* Sluggish Interface to GDB
@ 2008-11-29 20:16 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2008-11-29 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Why is the Emacs GUDInterface to gdb so sluggish? I am using multi-
window debugging.

For example repeatedly step/next hangs communication for seconds,
really disturbing the interface responsiveness.

/Nordlöw

* Re: Sluggish Interface to GDB
@ 2008-11-30  1:40 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-11-30  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw writes:
 > Why is the Emacs GUDInterface to gdb so sluggish? I am using multi-
 > window debugging.
 >
 > For example repeatedly step/next hangs communication for seconds,
 > really disturbing the interface responsiveness.

This is too general to be a useful bug report unless it happens for all program
that you debug.  I don't see it debugging Emacs.  It probably is Emacs that
makes it slow but have you tried gdb on your program from the command line?
What happens there?  How deep is your stack?  Have you got many watch
expressions in the speed bar? large numbers of local variables?  lots of extra
RAM?  which GUD related buffers to you have open?, etc, etc...

* Re: Sluggish Interface to GDB
@ 2008-11-30  4:16   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-11-30  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, per.nordlow

> From: Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz>
> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:40:34 +1300
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> This is too general to be a useful bug report unless it happens for all program
> that you debug.  I don't see it debugging Emacs.  It probably is Emacs that
> makes it slow but have you tried gdb on your program from the command line?
> What happens there?  How deep is your stack?  Have you got many watch
> expressions in the speed bar? large numbers of local variables?  lots of extra
> RAM?  which GUD related buffers to you have open?, etc, etc...

It might be a good idea to introduce an optional feature whereby GUD
would time-stamp the commands it sends to GDB and the responses it
gets.  Then at least the time spent waiting for GDB would be instantly
visible.