* displaying international characters
@ 2006-04-04 11:23 Ali El Dada
From: Ali El Dada @ 2006-04-04 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I used to be able to type a whole range of chacters in emacs, for
example phonetic symbols, letters with dots below them, etc, and all
from my custom made xkb keyboard. Now, after doing some updates to my
system during the last few months, I try to type the same characters and
it doesn't work in emacs, although it still works in, say, the web
browser. Any hints where I'm doing wrong?

I have the language environment set to UTF-8, which is also set as the
encoding to save the file with. And emacs should still have the fonts,
because I can still see the special characters well-displayed in old
files. When I try now emacs doesn't even type a box for a missing
character, it doesn't even respond :(

M-x emacs-version says: GNU Emacs 21.4.2 (i386-mandrake-linux-gnu...

Thank you.

Ali

* Re: displaying international characters
       [not found] <mailman.22.1144149824.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-13 20:58 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2006-04-13 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ali El Dada <eldada@student.chalmers.se> writes:

> I used to be able to type a whole range of chacters in emacs, for
> example phonetic symbols, letters with dots below them, etc, and all
> from my custom made xkb keyboard. Now, after doing some updates to my
> system during the last few months, I try to type the same characters
> and it doesn't work in emacs, although it still works in, say, the web
> browser. Any hints where I'm doing wrong?
>
> I have the language environment set to UTF-8, which is also set as the
> encoding to save the file with. And emacs should still have the fonts,
> because I can still see the special characters well-displayed in old
> files. When I try now emacs doesn't even type a box for a missing
> character, it doesn't even respond :(

Does this also happen if you start emacs with

emacs -q --no-site-file

from the command line?  If so, then maybe this is a bug.  You could try
`M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RET' before you visit such a file and then
hit `C-g' when Emacs "hangs" in order to get a backtrace.

What I don't understand in your description:  Does it happen with all
files you created in Emacs or just some of them?  Îf just some of them,
what are the conditions to cause this effect?

    Oliver
--
24 Germinal an 214 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!