* using special-display-regexps
@ 2004-06-17 22:19 Barman Brakjoller
From: Barman Brakjoller @ 2004-06-17 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to teach emacs to treat some buffers in a special way using
this code that is supposed to work:

(setq special-display-regexps
      '(("jabber-chat"
      ((top . 10) (height . 5) (left . 200)))))

In the documentation string thew following can be seen:

  *List of regexps saying which buffers should have their own special
  frames.  If a buffer name matches one of these regexps, it gets its
  own frame.  Displaying a buffer whose name is in this list makes a
  special frame for it using `special-display-function'.

  An element of the list can be a list instead of just a string.
  There are two ways to use a list as an element:
    (REGEXP FRAME-PARAMETERS...)   (REGEXP FUNCTION OTHER-ARGS...)
  In the first case, FRAME-PARAMETERS are used to create the frame.

It works only half way, emacs opens up matching buffers in a new
frame, but the supplied frame parameters is not applied.

What am I doing wrong?

I have loaded emacs using --no-init-file and --no-site-file but to no
avail.

/Mathias

* Re: using special-display-regexps
@ 2004-06-17 22:23 ` Barman Brakjoller
From: Barman Brakjoller @ 2004-06-17 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barman Brakjoller <brakjoller@hotmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to teach emacs to treat some buffers in a special way using
> this code that is supposed to work:
>
> (setq special-display-regexps
>       '(("jabber-chat"
>       ((top . 10) (height . 5) (left . 200)))))

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that I use display-buffer after having
set this up and that does not fully work as expected.

@ 2004-06-17 23:43 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2004-06-17 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barman Brakjoller <brakjoller@hotmail.com> writes:

>I'm trying to teach emacs to treat some buffers in a special way using
>this code that is supposed to work:
>
>(setq special-display-regexps
>      '(("jabber-chat"
>      ((top . 10) (height . 5) (left . 200)))))
>
>In the documentation string thew following can be seen:
>
>  *List of regexps saying which buffers should have their own special
>  frames.  If a buffer name matches one of these regexps, it gets its
>  own frame.  Displaying a buffer whose name is in this list makes a
>  special frame for it using `special-display-function'.
>
>  An element of the list can be a list instead of just a string.
>  There are two ways to use a list as an element:
>    (REGEXP FRAME-PARAMETERS...)   (REGEXP FUNCTION OTHER-ARGS...)
>  In the first case, FRAME-PARAMETERS are used to create the frame.
>
>It works only half way, emacs opens up matching buffers in a new
>frame, but the supplied frame parameters is not applied.
>
>What am I doing wrong?
>
>I have loaded emacs using --no-init-file and --no-site-file but to no
>avail.
>
>/Mathias

The frame parameters should each be elements at the same level as
"jabber-chat", rather than in their own enclosing list, as you've got it.
Also, it's better to use (add-to-list ...) rather than setq in this
context, because setq will clobber anything that's already there.

Put those together, and I think you get something like this:

(add-to-list 'special-display-regexps
      '("jabber-chat" (top . 10) (height . 5) (left . 200)))

--
Mike Slass

* Re: using special-display-regexps
@ 2004-06-18  6:48   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2004-06-18  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com> writes:

> >I'm trying to teach emacs to treat some buffers in a special way using
> >this code that is supposed to work:
> >
> >(setq special-display-regexps
> >      '(("jabber-chat"
> >      ((top . 10) (height . 5) (left . 200)))))
> >
> >In the documentation string thew following can be seen:
> >
> >  *List of regexps saying which buffers should have their own special
> >  frames.  If a buffer name matches one of these regexps, it gets its
> >  own frame.  Displaying a buffer whose name is in this list makes a
> >  special frame for it using `special-display-function'.
> >
> >  An element of the list can be a list instead of just a string.
> >  There are two ways to use a list as an element:
> >    (REGEXP FRAME-PARAMETERS...)   (REGEXP FUNCTION OTHER-ARGS...)
> >  In the first case, FRAME-PARAMETERS are used to create the frame.
> >
> >It works only half way, emacs opens up matching buffers in a new
> >frame, but the supplied frame parameters is not applied.
> >
> >What am I doing wrong?
> >
> >I have loaded emacs using --no-init-file and --no-site-file but to no
> >avail.
> >
> >/Mathias
>

> The frame parameters should each be elements at the same level as
> "jabber-chat", rather than in their own enclosing list, as you've got it.
> Also, it's better to use (add-to-list ...) rather than setq in this
> context, because setq will clobber anything that's already there.
>
> Put those together, and I think you get something like this:
>
> (add-to-list 'special-display-regexps
>       '("jabber-chat" (top . 10) (height . 5) (left . 200)))

Aaaaaah! Yes, that did the trick! Is this just a problem with me
or could the documentation be more clear on this subject? I have
fiddles with frame parameters from time to time and then I had
always needed to enclose them in their own list. This is the
reason I thought I had to do the same now.

Thanks!

@ 2004-06-18 14:44     ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2004-06-18 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@hotmail.com> writes:

>Aaaaaah! Yes, that did the trick! Is this just a problem with me
>or could the documentation be more clear on this subject? I have
>fiddles with frame parameters from time to time and then I had
>always needed to enclose them in their own list. This is the
>reason I thought I had to do the same now.
>

> >  An element of the list can be a list instead of just a string.
> >  There are two ways to use a list as an element:
> >    (REGEXP FRAME-PARAMETERS...)   (REGEXP FUNCTION OTHER-ARGS...)

Whether or not the docs could be more clear is a matter of debate, but
I think they're consistent; if the frame parameters in this context
were meant to be enclosed in their own list, the above would probably
show some extra parens:
> >    (REGEXP (FRAME-PARAMETERS...) )

That said, if you were to re-write this variable documentation in a
way that's clearer to you, and submit it as an emacs docs bug, someone
with greater authority could decide whether or not to incorporate it.

--
Mike Slass

* Re: using special-display-regexps
@ 2004-06-18 15:34     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-06-18 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias Dahl wrote:
 > Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com> writes:
 >>>I'm trying to teach emacs to treat some buffers in a special way using
 >>>this code that is supposed to work:
 >>>
 >>>(setq special-display-regexps
 >>>     '(("jabber-chat"
 >>>     ((top . 10) (height . 5) (left . 200)))))
 >>>
 >>>In the documentation string thew following can be seen:
 >>>
 >>> *List of regexps saying which buffers should have their own special
 >>> frames.  If a buffer name matches one of these regexps, it gets its
 >>> own frame.  Displaying a buffer whose name is in this list makes a
 >>> special frame for it using `special-display-function'.
 >>>
 >>> An element of the list can be a list instead of just a string.
 >>> There are two ways to use a list as an element:
 >>>   (REGEXP FRAME-PARAMETERS...)   (REGEXP FUNCTION OTHER-ARGS...)
 >>> In the first case, FRAME-PARAMETERS are used to create the frame.
 >>>
 >>>It works only half way, emacs opens up matching buffers in a new
 >>>frame, but the supplied frame parameters is not applied.
 >>
 >>The frame parameters should each be elements at the same level as
 >>"jabber-chat", rather than in their own enclosing list, as you've got it.
 >>Also, it's better to use (add-to-list ...) rather than setq in this
 >>context, because setq will clobber anything that's already there.
 >>
 >>Put those together, and I think you get something like this:
 >>
 >>(add-to-list 'special-display-regexps
 >>      '("jabber-chat" (top . 10) (height . 5) (left . 200)))
 >>

 > Aaaaaah! Yes, that did the trick! Is this just a problem with me
 > or could the documentation be more clear on this subject? I have
 > fiddles with frame parameters from time to time and then I had
 > always needed to enclose them in their own list. This is the
 > reason I thought I had to do the same now.

Yes, I think the correct way to denote that data structure would be:

(REGEXP . FRAME-PARAMETERS)	; FRAME-PARAMETERS is an association list
				; of (PARAMETER . VALUE) conses

or

(REGEXP (PARAMETER . VALUE) ...)

--