* changing fringe color
@ 2004-07-30 17:32 Gilbert Harman
From: Gilbert Harman @ 2004-07-30 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to change the fringe color of a frame in GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1,
e.g. to red?

 Gil

* Re: changing fringe color
       [not found] <mailman.2227.1091208953.1960.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-07-30 19:13 ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2004-07-30 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Gilbert> Is there a way to change the fringe color of a frame in
    Gilbert> GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1, e.g. to red?

M-x customize-group RET basic-faces RET

Look for Fringe.

,----
| Documentation: Basic face for the fringes to the left and right of windows under X.
|
|          Family: unspecified
|           Width: unspecified
|          Height: unspecified
|          Weight: unspecified
|           Slant: unspecified
|      Foreground: unspecified
|      Background: gray19
|       Underline: unspecified
|        Overline: unspecified
|  Strike-through: unspecified
|             Box: unspecified
|         Inverse: unspecified
|         Stipple: unspecified
| Font or fontset: unspecified
|         Inherit: unspecified
`----

* Re: changing fringe color
@ 2004-08-02 21:51 ` Gilbert Harman
From: Gilbert Harman @ 2004-08-02 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there a way to change the fringe color of a frame in GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1,
> e.g. to red?
>
>  Gil

Peter Lee suggested using customization, but that changes the color of
fringes on all frames.  But I want to start up with several frames with
different background colors with matching fringes.  The following makes a
new frame with background color and background fringe color gray10:

(setq rframe (make-frame '((background-color . "gray10"))))
(set-face-background 'fringe "gray10" rframe)

  Gil

* Re: changing fringe color
       [not found] <mailman.2501.1091483713.1960.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-08-03 17:50 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2004-08-03 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gilbert Harman <harman@Princeton.EDU> writes:

>Peter Lee suggested using customization, but that changes the color of
>fringes on all frames.  But I want to start up with several frames with
>different background colors with matching fringes.  The following makes a
>new frame with background color and background fringe color gray10:
>
>(setq rframe (make-frame '((background-color . "gray10"))))
>(set-face-background 'fringe "gray10" rframe)

What are your criteria for choosing the frames' colors?  (frame name,
contents, visited files?)

--
Mike Slass

* Re: changing fringe color
@ 2004-08-03 18:38   ` Gilbert Harman
From: Gilbert Harman @ 2004-08-03 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What are your criteria for choosing the frames' colors?  (frame name,
> contents, visited files?)

It's just that I start up with several frames, some with black background
color, but I prefer that overlapping frames have different background
colors.

 Gil

* Re: changing fringe color
       [not found] <mailman.2617.1091558592.1960.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-08-03 20:22 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2004-08-03 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gilbert Harman <harman@Princeton.EDU> writes:

>> What are your criteria for choosing the frames' colors?  (frame name,
>> contents, visited files?)
>
>It's just that I start up with several frames, some with black background
>color, but I prefer that overlapping frames have different background
>colors.

I guess my question should have been more exact:
What programmatically-discoverable conditions would you like the frame
colors to depend on?

--
Mike Slass

* Re: changing fringe color
@ 2004-08-03 22:53   ` Gilbert Harman
From: Gilbert Harman @ 2004-08-03 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/3/04 4:22 PM, "Michael Slass" <miknrene@drizzle.com> wrote:

> Gilbert Harman <harman@Princeton.EDU> writes:
>
>>> What are your criteria for choosing the frames' colors?  (frame name,
>>> contents, visited files?)
>>
>> It's just that I start up with several frames, some with black background
>> color, but I prefer that overlapping frames have different background
>> colors.
>>

> I guess my question should have been more exact:
> What programmatically-discoverable conditions would you like the frame
> colors to depend on?

At the moment I make the frames at startup in my .emacs.  The general
principle is that the color of the fringe should be the same as the
background color of the frame.

  Gil