* failed when compile emacs22 when --with-gtk is specified
@ 2006-12-16 11:44 Ronald
From: Ronald @ 2006-12-16 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

without this option, it's ok, but with this, it failed, the message is
as below.

The build failure:
gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUSE_GTK  -I.
-I/home/krishndh/stub/emacs-build/src -D_BSD_SOURCE
-I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include
-I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0
-I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include  -g -O2
-Wno-pointer-sign  xmenu.c
In file included from xmenu.c:130:
gtkutil.h:163: error: syntax error before '*' token
gtkutil.h:165: warning: 'struct scroll_bar' declared inside parameter list
gtkutil.h:165: warning: its scope is only this definition or
declaration, which is probably not what you want
gtkutil.h:179: warning: 'struct scroll_bar' declared inside parameter list
gtkutil.h:192: error: syntax error before '*' token
gtkutil.h:194: error: syntax error before 'Display'
gtkutil.h:195: error: syntax error before '*' token
gtkutil.h:196: error: syntax error before '*' token
gtkutil.h:204: error: syntax error before 'Pixmap'
xmenu.c: In function 'syms_of_xmenu':
xmenu.c:3797: error: 'Smenu_bar_open' undeclared (first use in this
function)
xmenu.c:3797: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
xmenu.c:3797: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [xmenu.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/krishndh/stub/emacs-build/src'
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/krishndh/stub/emacs-build'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

* Re: failed when compile emacs22 when --with-gtk is specified
@ 2006-12-16 14:07 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1973.1166278082.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-16 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Ronald <followait@163.com>
> Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:44:56 +0800
>
> without this option, it's ok, but with this, it failed, the message is
> as below.

It is useless to report build failures here, because the Emacs
maintainers don't read this list.

Please report to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org or to emacs-devel@gnu.org
instead.

@ 2006-12-16 14:53   ` Ronald
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1988.1166293288.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ronald @ 2006-12-16 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It is useless to report build failures here, because the Emacs
> maintainers don't read this list.
>
> Please report to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org or to emacs-devel@gnu.org
> instead.

ok.
But it's about installing emacs.

* Re: failed when compile emacs22 when --with-gtk is specified
@ 2006-12-16 18:21     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1988.1166293288.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-16 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Ronald" <followait@163.com>
> Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:53:21 +0800
>
> > It is useless to report build failures here, because the Emacs
> > maintainers don't read this list.
> >
> > Please report to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org or to emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > instead.
>
> ok.
> But it's about installing emacs.

Of course.  But this forum is about _using_ Emacs, not about building
and installing it.

@ 2006-12-18 14:35       ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-12-18 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> But it's about installing emacs.
>
> Of course.  But this forum is about _using_ Emacs, not about
> building and installing it.

Says:

  "This list is the place for users and installers of GNU Emacs to ask
   for help."

@ 2006-12-18 18:33 ` reader
From: reader @ 2006-12-18 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ronald <followait@163.com> writes:

> without this option, it's ok, but with this, it failed, the message is
> as below.

[snipped output]

Ronald, please explain things in full sentences and full thoughts.
Include snippets of other posts if your post relies on it for meaning.
Its very difficult to tell what you want.

As Eli pointed out this is not really the list for a discussion of
building.

However I do believe you are often likely to find someone here who has seen
and understood a similar problem and can give guidance.  Most here
understand some aspects of building.

I suspect your problem is something involving your local setup and may
not really be of interest to the high level discussions that occur on
the developer list Eli references.

To find out you will have to post sensible full messages that give a
readable account of what you are seeing and what your environment is like.

* Re: failed when compile emacs22 when --with-gtk is specified
@ 2006-12-18 20:03         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-18 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:35:20 +0100

> Says:
>
>   "This list is the place for users and installers of GNU Emacs to ask
>    for help."

Not for CVS versions.

* Re: failed when compile emacs22 when --with-gtk is specified
@ 2006-12-18 20:15   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-18 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: reader@newsguy.com
> Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:33:26 -0600
>
> I suspect your problem is something involving your local setup and may
> not really be of interest to the high level discussions that occur on
> the developer list Eli references.

On the contrary, they are of _great_ interest, since version 22.1 is
in pretest, so any build failure on any supported platform is subject
to intensive scrutiny.