* Tab questions
@ 2002-11-11 15:48 Todd Wylie
From: Todd Wylie @ 2002-11-11 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi-

I have a couple of questions about tab stops.
1: Is there a way to load edit-tab-stops from the .emacs file? Or must I M-x
edit-tab-stops each session?
2: I'm not too clear on how tabs are working. If I edit-tab-stops from 8
characters to 5 for the first tab stop and then use C-f it will traverse all
5 spaces for the first tab stop -- however, it will jump all 8 spaces at the
same time at the next (unedited) tab stop. Are edited tab stops akin to
untabifying tabs (i.e. literal spaces)? I have the O'reilly GNU emacs book
but his section isn't very helpful... thanks.

best wishess,
Todd

--
===========================
Todd Wylie

twylie@watson.wustl.edu
===========================

* RE: Tab questions
@ 2002-11-11 17:06 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2002-11-11 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Read about the load path and require.  If it is not covered in the O'reilly GNU emacs book look at the elisp reference manual.  I haven't read the O'reilly book I just get my information from the elisp reference and the help.
http://www.gnu.org/manual/elisp-manual-21-2.8/html_mono/elisp.html for version 21.1 and later
http://www.gnu.org/manual/elisp-manual-20-2.5/html_mono/elisp.html for version 20

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Product Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-

       [not found] <mailman.1037030769.22800.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-11 17:43 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-11 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Todd Wylie <twylie@watson.wustl.edu> writes:

> I have a couple of questions about tab stops.
> 1: Is there a way to load edit-tab-stops from the .emacs file? Or must I M-x
> edit-tab-stops each session?

M-x customize-variable RET tab-stop-list RET

Don't forget to save your changes.

> 2: I'm not too clear on how tabs are working. If I edit-tab-stops from 8
> characters to 5 for the first tab stop and then use C-f it will traverse all
> 5 spaces for the first tab stop -- however, it will jump all 8 spaces at the
> same time at the next (unedited) tab stop. Are edited tab stops akin to
> untabifying tabs (i.e. literal spaces)? I have the O'reilly GNU emacs book
> but his section isn't very helpful... thanks.

There are two completely separate concepts: (1) where does the cursor
go when you hit TAB or M-i, (2) where does Emacs put tab characters
in your buffer.

The variable tab-width controls the latter.

(shameless plug)  You might also try the Emacs keybinding tutorial,
which used to be on my homepage but that is gone now.  Maybe Google
still has a copy.  I hope to reinstate my homepage asap, but I'm
quite busy at the moment...

kai

@ 2002-11-12  5:42 ` Umesh P Nair
From: Umesh P Nair @ 2002-11-12  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

 ToddW> Hi-

 ToddW> I have a couple of questions about tab stops.

 ToddW> 1: Is there a way to load edit-tab-stops from the .emacs file?
 ToddW>    Or must I M-x edit-tab-stops each session?

 ToddW> 2: I'm not too clear on how tabs are working. If I
 ToddW>    edit-tab-stops from 8 characters to 5 for the first tab
 ToddW>    stop and then use C-f it will traverse all 5 spaces for the
 ToddW>    first tab stop -- however, it will jump all 8 spaces at the
 ToddW>    same time at the next (unedited) tab stop. Are edited tab
 ToddW>    stops akin to untabifying tabs (i.e. literal spaces)? I
 ToddW>    have the O'reilly GNU emacs book but his section isn't very
 ToddW>    helpful... thanks.

May not be the answer to your question, but I use the variable
tab-stop-list for this purpose.

The following crude function (wrote a while back.  Never tried to make
it better.) sets the tab stops at places in the interval 2-120.

I have bound it to a key and a menu item.

(defun upn-set-tab-stops (spaces)
  "Sets tab stops at fixed intervals."
  (interactive "nSize of interval: ")
  (if (or (< spaces 2) (> spaces 120))
      (princ "Arg should be in the range 2-120" (active-minibuffer-window))
    (setq tab-stop-list nil)
    (let ((cur-column spaces))
      (while (< cur-column 121)
        (setq tab-stop-list (append tab-stop-list (list cur-column)))
        (setq cur-column (+ cur-column spaces))))
    (princ "Tab stops are set at " (active-minibuffer-window))
    (pp tab-stop-list (active-minibuffer-window))))

- Umesh

--
Umesh P Nair