* Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
@ 2006-01-04  0:34 BRUCE INGALLS
From: BRUCE INGALLS @ 2006-01-04  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Peter Dyballa
> Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 10:44:15 +0100
> Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
>
> > That said, yet another hack is available: there already is code to
> > export emacs buffers to PDF.
>
> Could you drop some names, please?

Feel free to browse http://EMacro.sf.net/ for more of this stuff.
I expect to make a new release, this month.
Here is the relevant code, from e-common.el:

;;Note that ps2pdf might not be installed
(defun save-current-buffer-as-pdf ()
  "Export pretty-printed file to PDF format."
  (interactive)
  (ps-print-buffer-with-faces (concat (buffer-file-name) ".ps"))
  (shell-command (concat "ps2pdf " (buffer-file-name) ".ps"))
  (delete-file (concat (buffer-file-name) ".ps"))
  (message "Done"))

(defvar cache-htmlize)            ;shut up compiler
(cache-locate-library
 use-cache 'cache-htmlize "htmlize"
 "To export as HTML, get htmlize.el from <url:
http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~hniksic/emacs/htmlize.el>")

(when cache-htmlize (require 'htmlize))

(when (or cache-htmlize (which "ps2pdf"))
  (easy-menu-change file-menu "Export As"
            (list
             ["PDF" save-current-buffer-as-pdf
              (if (which "ps2pdf") t nil)] ;enable only if in PATH
             ["HTML" htmlize-buffer
              (if cache-htmlize t nil)])))

;;note that cache-htmlize can be replaced by a slower call to
locate-library()

* Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
@ 2006-01-04 10:00 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-01-04 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.01.2006 um 01:34 schrieb BRUCE INGALLS:

> (defun save-current-buffer-as-pdf ()

Hello Bruce!

Your site in German is quite funny -- somehow the words look familiar
to me, but the sentences built from them ... am I reading the wrong
newspapers and magazines that they don't make much sense to me? Which
machine tried to "translate" the original texts?

You are using the usual ps-print functions and then ps2pdf to convert
PS output to PDF. This is OK for US-ASCII and ISO Latin-1/ISO 8859-1,
but it fails already in ISO Latin-9/ISO 8859-15, ISO Latin with €. It
works for almost 200 characters, but there are 60,000 more in Unicode
(BMP).

htmlize.el is a great tool, yes! It seems that it converts every
textual buffer contents in any encoding without errors to Unicode
(UTF-8) preserving text attributes in HTML. Together with htmlize-
view.el, which opens the 'printed' buffer in the default Internet
browser, one gets access to the system's native printing dialogues
(printer choice, paper format, ...) and mechanisms and does not need
to take care of any font issues for characters outside the small US-
ASCII/ISO Latin world. For 'Carbon Emacs' on Mac OS X this seems to
become the standard printing interface ... although some users and
developers seem to have a 'strange' feeling when using this! And it
does not need third party software (ps2pdf from Ghostview).

--
Greetings

   Pete

The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this
matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and
pencil surpass him in intelligence. (Ernst Mach)

* Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
@ 2006-01-05  1:56   ` BRUCE INGALLS
From: BRUCE INGALLS @ 2006-01-05  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 1/4/06, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 04.01.2006 um 01:34 schrieb BRUCE INGALLS:
>
> > (defun save-current-buffer-as-pdf ()
>
> Hello Bruce!
> Your site in German is quite funny

I don't remember how I translated the pages, but I do know that they need
more work. Perhaps I should leave everything in English, but I am trying to
accomodate the rest of the world.
If you have suggestions, I am open. I have asked for volunteers in the
past...

> You are using the usual ps-print functions and then ps2pdf to convert
> PS output to PDF. This is OK for US-ASCII and ISO Latin-1/ISO 8859-1,
> but it fails already in ISO Latin-9/ISO 8859-15, ISO Latin with €.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the shortcoming is in the PS generation, or
in the PDF conversion. I'm sure you could `gsview foo.ps` to find out.

htmlize.el is a great tool, yes!

For 'Carbon Emacs' on Mac OS X this seems to
> become the standard printing interface ... although some users and
> developers seem to have a 'strange' feeling when using this! And it
> does not need third party software (ps2pdf from Ghostview).

Well, it did not take much convincing, to tell me that ps2pdf is not a good
solution.
Unfortunately, while the htmlview.el printing approach is appealing, it does
rely on 3rd party software, namely the web browser (unless you use the
lower quality w3.el, which is an optional package).

Fortunately, w32, osx & linux/gnome have default browsers, that Emacs
can detect. I have included browser detection software in EMacro (ach, weh!)
which can help with console mode and other platforms, such as Solaris, bsd,
etc.

* Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
@ 2006-01-05 13:01     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-01-05 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.01.2006 um 02:56 schrieb BRUCE INGALLS:

>> You are using the usual ps-print functions and then ps2pdf to convert
>> PS output to PDF. This is OK for US-ASCII and ISO Latin-1/ISO 8859-1,
>> but it fails already in ISO Latin-9/ISO 8859-15, ISO Latin with €.
>
> Thanks for the info. I wonder if the shortcoming is in the PS
> generation, or
> in the PDF conversion. I'm sure you could `gsview foo.ps` to find out.

The problem is encoding of the PostScript fonts used to set the
document. ps-print.el uses ISO 8859-1, independent from the buffer
contents' encoding. If you have a buffer contents that uses more than
192 different characters (256 less two times 32 control characters, 7
bit and 8 bit), you need to provide special PostScript fonts that
encode so many characters (CID coded fonts for CJK use), or use the
same font with different encodings to have Latin plus some extended
Latin (a technique that's used in TeX). The final step of converting
PS to PDF only fixes these limitations, it can't change anything
since it's still PostScript. It's just of an improved structure
embedding all fonts used in the document (leaving out a set of
mandatory PS fonts) and this way giving a guarantee that this
document will print everywhere and exactly the same.

>> htmlize.el is a great tool, yes!
>>
>> For 'Carbon Emacs' on Mac OS X this seems to
>> become the standard printing interface ... although some users and
>> developers seem to have a 'strange' feeling when using this! And it
>> does not need third party software (ps2pdf from Ghostview).
>
> Well, it did not take much convincing, to tell me that ps2pdf is
> not a good
> solution.
> Unfortunately, while the htmlview.el printing approach is
> appealing, it does
> rely on 3rd party software, namely the web browser (unless you use the
> lower quality w3.el, which is an optional package).
>
> Fortunately, w32, osx & linux/gnome have default browsers, that Emacs
> can detect. I have included browser detection software in EMacro
> (ach, weh!)
> which can help with console mode and other platforms, such as
> Solaris, bsd,
> etc.

I never worked on a BSD UNIX other than SunOS or Mac OS X, but I
can't imagine that FreeBSD or NetBSD come without a (kind of third
party) browser on their installation disks, and OpenBSD is secure
enough that it can afford an Internet browser. They probably have
Mozilla, Firefox, Seamonkey well integrated as a native application.
Solaris once had HotJava (and OpenWindows) and now uses GNOME as GUI,
so it could be viewed as a Linux variant. AIX, Irix and HP-UX will
have some sort of Internet browser provided by the manufacturer too.
A somehow improved version of printing a htmlize'd buffer or
selection contents could be to use print engines in KDE or GNOME,
which probably exist. In Mac OS X 10.2 ("Jaguar") Apple 'contributed'
kind of a generic 'convertor' for CUPS to convert different input
formats (JPEG, GIF, PICT, TIFF, RTF, plain text in MacRoman) to PDF
(or PS):

	Usage: /System/Library/Printers/Libraries/convert [-f <input
filename>] [-o <output filename>] [-i <input mimetype>] [-j <output
mimetype>] [-P <PPD filename>] [-u] [-a <attribute string>] [-U
<username>] [-J <jobname] [-c <copies>] [-D]

convert can optimise its PS or PDF output for the printer used via
the PPD file, it even uses the user's system default monospaced font
-- but only accepted plain text input is MacRoman! And it has to be a
file -- no pipe allowed! To convert other text encodings you would
have to use lossy iconv -c (otherwise no output at all!) to a file
and feed this file to convert. But -- htmlize'ing first, convert now
makes no fault with "-i text/html" and everything is printed fine!
(Some optimisation in fonts and sizes might be fine, in a personal
CSS file.) Using this 'Unicode encoded' HTML file all is preserved:
the font used in Emacs, the font faces, its colours (the line breaks
are not great yet). All that's needed is an efficient convertor from
HTML to the printing systems native input format ... and maybe a
button to open the system's native print dialogue!

--
Greetings

   Pete

I obviously had too much to dream last night ...

* Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
@ 2006-01-05 15:41       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-01-05 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> The problem is encoding of the PostScript fonts used to set the
> document. ps-print.el uses ISO 8859-1, independent from the buffer
> contents' encoding. If you have a buffer contents that uses more than
> 192 different characters (256 less two times 32 control characters, 7
> bit and 8 bit), you need to provide special PostScript fonts that
> encode so many characters (CID coded fonts for CJK use), or use the
> same font with different encodings to have Latin plus some extended
> Latin (a technique that's used in TeX).

It is not clear to me whether you mean that this is a bug in ps-print.el
or that it is a limitation in the current handling of fonts in
PostScript. I am sorry that I do not understand this yet, but can you
explain the status of this again?

* translation software (was: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs)
@ 2006-01-05 16:05     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-01-05 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ http://EMacro.sf.net/ ]
>> Your site in German is quite funny
>
> Perhaps I should leave everything in English, but I am trying to
> accomodate the rest of the world.

Please leave it in English until you find a human translator.  The
current "German" version just nonsense.  The "German" text doesn't
contain a single intelligible sentence.  Additional `C-x = cut'
becomes `C-x = Schnitt', etc.  User who have set their language
preferences to "German, English" will get the nonsense instead of the
English version.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
@ 2006-01-05 20:44       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-01-05 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de>
> Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:01:10 +0100
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> The problem is encoding of the PostScript fonts used to set the
> document. ps-print.el uses ISO 8859-1, independent from the buffer
> contents' encoding.

I don't think this is true.  First, there's ps-mule.el that can be set
up to use other 8-bit encodings instead of 8859-1, if your printer has
the appropriate fonts loaded.  And second, you can install BDF fonts
for other character sets and set up ps-mule and ps-print for printing
almost any character set imaginable.

* Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
@ 2006-01-05 21:17         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-01-05 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.01.2006 um 16:41 schrieb Lennart Borgman:

> Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>>                   The problem is encoding of the PostScript fonts
>> used to set the  document. ps-print.el uses ISO 8859-1,
>> independent from the buffer  contents' encoding. If you have a
>> buffer contents that uses more than  192 different characters (256
>> less two times 32 control characters, 7  bit and 8 bit), you need
>> to provide special PostScript fonts that  encode so many
>> characters (CID coded fonts for CJK use), or use the  same font
>> with different encodings to have Latin plus some extended  Latin
>> (a technique that's used in TeX).
>
> It is not clear to me whether you mean that this is a bug in ps-
> print.el or that it is a limitation in the current handling of
> fonts in PostScript. I am sorry that I do not understand this yet,
> but can you explain the status of this again?

It is both! ps-print.el destroys the original encoding, and PS
usually handles font encodings with up to 256 mappings. (And ps-
print.el has no code to handle CID encoded fonts with up to 64 K
mappings.)

--
Greetings

   Pete       (:
         _    / __    -    -
       _/ \__/_/        -     -
      (´`)      (´`)   -    -
       `´        `´

* Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
@ 2006-01-05 21:18         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-01-05 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.01.2006 um 21:44 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

>> The problem is encoding of the PostScript fonts used to set the
>> document. ps-print.el uses ISO 8859-1, independent from the buffer
>> contents' encoding.
>
> I don't think this is true.  First, there's ps-mule.el that can be set
> up to use other 8-bit encodings instead of 8859-1, if your printer has
> the appropriate fonts loaded.  And second, you can install BDF fonts
> for other character sets and set up ps-mule and ps-print for printing
> almost any character set imaginable.

I don't want to print bitmaps. I have a genuine PostScript 3 printer.

--
Greetings

   Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have
others. - Groucho Marx

* Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
@ 2006-01-06  8:36           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-01-06  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:18:42 +0100
>
> Am 05.01.2006 um 21:44 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
>
> >> The problem is encoding of the PostScript fonts used to set the
> >> document. ps-print.el uses ISO 8859-1, independent from the buffer
> >> contents' encoding.
> >
> > I don't think this is true.  First, there's ps-mule.el that can be set
> > up to use other 8-bit encodings instead of 8859-1, if your printer has
> > the appropriate fonts loaded.  And second, you can install BDF fonts
> > for other character sets and set up ps-mule and ps-print for printing
> > almost any character set imaginable.
>
> I don't want to print bitmaps. I have a genuine PostScript 3 printer.

``Don't want'' and ``doesn't work'' are two different things, you
know.  Your message to which I replied made it sound like Emacs
PostScript printing is broken for anything but Latin-1.  Which is
clearly not true.  All one needs is download and install the GNU
Intlfonts package and customize a few variables as documented in
ps-mule.el.  In addition to BDF fonts, there are Type1 and TrueType
fonts in that package.

Also, if you set up ps-mule.el to use non-ASCII fonts supported by
your printer, the printouts you will get will be as pretty as pure
ASCII, the fonts from Intlfonts are only used for characters not
covered by the printer's built-in fonts.

As for bitmaps, back when I looked into this, work was being done on
writing ps-type1.el which, like ps-bdf.el for BDF, was supposed to let
ps-print use Type1 fonts.  I don't know if this work was finished, but
if it wasn't, I'd suggest that people who are interested in enhancing
Emacs printing capabilities to work on Type1 and TrueType fonts,
instead of preaching that we delegate printing to IE.

* Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
@ 2006-01-06  8:39           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-01-06  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de>
> Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:17:22 +0100
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > It is not clear to me whether you mean that this is a bug in ps-
> > print.el or that it is a limitation in the current handling of
> > fonts in PostScript. I am sorry that I do not understand this yet,
> > but can you explain the status of this again?
>
> It is both! ps-print.el destroys the original encoding, and PS
> usually handles font encodings with up to 256 mappings. (And ps-
> print.el has no code to handle CID encoded fonts with up to 64 K
> mappings.)

Would you please stop spreading incorrect information?  Emacs includes
ps-mule.el, which is an add-on to ps-print that allows Emacs to print
any characters supported by Emacs on a PostScript printer.  Perhaps
you should look at the code before you talk about what is and what
isn't a bug there.

* Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
@ 2006-01-06 11:59             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-01-06 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.01.2006 um 09:36 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

> All one needs is download and install the GNU
> Intlfonts package and customize a few variables as documented in
> ps-mule.el.  In addition to BDF fonts, there are Type1 and TrueType
> fonts in that package.

These fonts are a mess of patches with holes in them. I do not
recommend to use them, except, one uses found rubber parts instead of
tyres around one's car's rims because the tyres were needed to build
one's shoes, sandal type, from.

The PS or TT fonts come from the old TeX Omega project. In recent TeX
you can find more and more complete fonts (meanwhile we are writing
the year 2006, it's in the third millennium now).

And I know what I am writing since I have them installed, since I use
them still in some Carbon Emacsen (some variants are handicapped from
inadequate and proprietary decisions in last millennium), since I
used them in GNU Emacs 22 which now has a basis of complicated
fontsets from mostly mono-spaced Unicode encoded TrueType fonts --
from time to time I still see glyphs from the GNU Intlfonts! Fighting
with these fontset definitions brings much more pleasing results than
using this given up and incomplete work-around.

There is probably good reason that ps-type1.el is not included in GNU
Emacs.

And I am sure this decision is not based on the existence of
htmlize.el. Which looks more like a perfect work-around for something
missing in GNU Emacs, or, in other words, like a solution for a since
long existing problem.

--
Greetings

   Pete

To be is to do.
                        -- I. Kant
To do is to be.
                        -- A. Sartre
Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
                        -- F. Flintstone

* Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-01-06 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 12:59:28 +0100
>

> Am 06.01.2006 um 09:36 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:
>
> > All one needs is download and install the GNU
> > Intlfonts package and customize a few variables as documented in
> > ps-mule.el.  In addition to BDF fonts, there are Type1 and TrueType
> > fonts in that package.
>
> These fonts are a mess of patches with holes in them. I do not
> recommend to use them, except, one uses found rubber parts instead of
> tyres around one's car's rims because the tyres were needed to build
> one's shoes, sandal type, from.

I don't know what you are talking about.  I don't maintain Intlfonts,
I just used them when I needed to print text that my printer didn't
support with its fonts.  I got quite readable text, but perhaps I'm
not as knowledgeable as you are about font design.

Also note that Intlfonts were originally meant for use in display, not
in ps-print.  Later ps-mule and ps-bdf were added to use PostScript
commands to download the fonts to the printer before printing text.

In any case, the right thing to do about bad fonts that Emacs users
are recommended to use is to volunteer to improve them.  Until then,
Intlfonts is the best collection of free fonts we know about (if you
know otherwise, please suggest better alternatives, so that we could
mention them in the Emacs installation instructions).

> There is probably good reason that ps-type1.el is not included in GNU
> Emacs.

The only reason I know of is that it never got finished.

> And I am sure this decision is not based on the existence of
> htmlize.el. Which looks more like a perfect work-around for something
> missing in GNU Emacs, or, in other words, like a solution for a since
> long existing problem.

Sorry, can't parse this.  Perhaps my English is not good enough.

* PostScript printing Latin-N (with N != 1) (was: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs)
@ 2006-01-10 17:37             ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-01-10 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 06 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Your message to which I replied made it sound like Emacs PostScript
> printing is broken for anything but Latin-1.  Which is clearly not
> true.  All one needs is download and install the GNU Intlfonts
> package and customize a few variables as documented in ps-mule.el.
> In addition to BDF fonts, there are Type1 and TrueType fonts in that
> package.

I tried to setup printing from Emacs for buffers with the
Euro sign (€) several times (see
e.g. <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/9536>,
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/9433>),
but I failed.

Following you suggestion, now I tried:

(require 'ps-mule)

(setq
 ;; Pick one:
 ps-multibyte-buffer 'bdf-font
 ;; ps-multibyte-buffer 'bdf-font-except-latin
 bdf-directory-list '("/usr/share/fonts/bdf"))

(setq rs-tmp "€uro, Umläüté, ... ÄÖÜ äöü ß ¡¿Ññ")

(ps-print-buffer-with-faces "/tmp/ps-mule-bdf.ps")

;; Local Variables:
;; coding: iso-8859-15
;; End:

/usr/share/fonts/bdf$ rpm -qfi .
Name        : intlfonts-bdf               [...]
Version     : 1.2.1                       [...]
URL         : ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/intlfonts/
Summary     : Fonts from the GNU Intlfonts Package in BDF Format
Description :
Fonts from the GNU intlfonts package in the BDF format.

These fonts are useful for printing exotic languages such as Thai,
Tibetan, Vietnamese, Arabic, and more from within Emacs.

[...]
/usr/share/fonts/bdf$ ls
thai24.bdf        grk24-etl.bdf   gulim24.bdf       ethio24f-uni.bdf
lt5-24-etl.bdf    cyr24-etl.bdf   gb24st.bdf        cns6-40.bdf
lt4-24-etl.bdf    12x24rk.bdf     cns2-40.bdf       cns5-40.bdf
lt3-24-etl.bdf    visc24-etl.bdf  cns1-40.bdf       cns4-40.bdf
lt2-24-etl.bdf    taipei24.bdf    arab24-2-etl.bdf  cns3-40.bdf
lt1-24-etl.bdf    sish24-etl.bdf  arab24-1-etl.bdf  ind24-mule.bdf
lt1-16i-etl.bdf   lao24-mule.bdf  arab24-0-etl.bdf  cns7-40.bdf
lt1-16bi-etl.bdf  jksp40.bdf      tib24-mule.bdf    fonts.cache-1
lt1-16b-etl.bdf   jiskan24.bdf    tib1c24-mule.bdf
heb24-etl.bdf     ipa24-etl.bdf   ind1c24-mule.bdf

~$ emacs-cvs -Q /tmp/print-test.el
[ emacs-cvs is thee CVS trunk of today. ]

`M-x eval-buffer RET' gives "Font for some characters not found,
continue anyway? (y or n) " and the following warning buffer:

,----
| These characters in the buffer can't be printed:
|  €
| Click them to jump to the buffer position,
| or C-u C-x = will give information about them.
`----

`C-u C-x =' says:
  character: € (3876, #o7444, #xf24, U+20AC)
    charset: latin-iso8859-15

(The same with `ps-multibyte-buffer' to 'bdf-font or
'bdf-font-except-latin)

When setting `ps-multibyte-buffer' to 'bdf-font-except-latin, I get a
hollow square instead of the € in the PS file.

When setting `ps-multibyte-buffer' to 'bdf-font, the gs can't display
the PS file:

~$ gs /tmp/ps-mule-bdf.ps
ESP Ghostscript 7.07 (2003-07-12)
Copyright 2003 artofcode LLC and Easy Software Products, all rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file COPYING for details.
Unrecoverable error: typecheck in aload
Operand stack:
    SpaceWidth  --nostringval--

Unexpected interpreter error -20.
Error object: (f80)op(560:aload)0x48e9e0
Operand stack at 0xeeb708:
0xed44c8: 0x0d name --S------ 0x1353 0x0102ca98 = SpaceWidth
0xed44d8: 0x0e null --F------ 0x00ea 0x00000001
Execution stack at 0xeeb6a0:
0xed7798: 0x0f oper --F---e-- 0x0000 0x00483040 = %interp_exit
0xed77a8: 0x0d name --S---e-- 0x0302 0x00f34258 = .runexec2
0xed77b8: 0x03 file --G-rx--- 0x0001 0x0109cdb8
0xed77c8: 0x05 mpry --G-rxe-- 0x0006 0x00f3af32
0xed77d8: 0x0e null --F---e-- 0x0003 0x0048f040
0xed77e8: 0x0e null --F------ 0x00ea 0x00000001
0xed77f8: 0x0b int  --F------ 0x0000 0x00000002 = 2
0xed7808: 0x0f oper --F---e-- 0x0000 0x0048efe0 = %stopped_push
0xed7818: 0x03 file --G-rxe-- 0x0001 0x0109cdb8
0xed7828: 0x05 mpry --G-rxe-- 0x0002 0x00f3bc08
0xed7838: 0x06 spry --G-rxe-- 0x0002 0x00f3bbaa
0xed7848: 0x04 arry --L-rxe-- 0x0004 0x010a8978
0xed7858: 0x04 arry --L-rxe-- 0x000a 0x010a8828
0xed7868: 0x04 arry --L-rxe-- 0x0004 0x010a84a8
0xed7878: 0x04 arry --L-rxe-- 0x0003 0x010a82c8
0xed7888: 0x05 mpry --G-rxe-- 0x0039 0x00f3c352
Dictionary stack at 0xeeb608:
0xeeb0d8: 0x02 dict --Gwrx--- 0x0000 0x00eb5ec8
0xeeb0e8: 0x02 dict --Gwrx--- 0x0000 0x00f5e9e8
0xeeb0f8: 0x02 dict --Lwrx--- 0x0000 0x00ecf3a8
0xeeb108: 0x02 dict --Gwrx--- 0x0000 0x00eb5ec8
0xeeb118: 0x02 dict --Lwrx--- 0x0000 0x00ed06c8
0xeeb128: 0x02 dict --Lwrx--- 0x0000 0x010a89d8

Bye, Reiner.

\f
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: PostScript printing Latin-N (with N != 1) (was: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-01-10 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:37:54 +0100
>
> /usr/share/fonts/bdf$ ls
> thai24.bdf        grk24-etl.bdf   gulim24.bdf       ethio24f-uni.bdf
> lt5-24-etl.bdf    cyr24-etl.bdf   gb24st.bdf        cns6-40.bdf
> lt4-24-etl.bdf    12x24rk.bdf     cns2-40.bdf       cns5-40.bdf
> lt3-24-etl.bdf    visc24-etl.bdf  cns1-40.bdf       cns4-40.bdf
> lt2-24-etl.bdf    taipei24.bdf    arab24-2-etl.bdf  cns3-40.bdf
> lt1-24-etl.bdf    sish24-etl.bdf  arab24-1-etl.bdf  ind24-mule.bdf
> lt1-16i-etl.bdf   lao24-mule.bdf  arab24-0-etl.bdf  cns7-40.bdf
> lt1-16bi-etl.bdf  jksp40.bdf      tib24-mule.bdf    fonts.cache-1
> lt1-16b-etl.bdf   jiskan24.bdf    tib1c24-mule.bdf
> heb24-etl.bdf     ipa24-etl.bdf   ind1c24-mule.bdf

Does any of these fonts support Latin-9?  If not, that's the reason
for the empty box instead of the Euro.

Also, the font database in ps-mule-font-info-database-bdf seems like
the font for Latin-9 characters is not set.

Alternatively, if you can find a BDF Latin-9 font and install it, your
text should print okay.

> (The same with `ps-multibyte-buffer' to 'bdf-font or
> 'bdf-font-except-latin)

This isn't supposed to work: 'bdf-font-except-latin is for Latin-1
characters, not for Latin-9.  But if your printer has Latin-9 fonts,
you could use 'bdf-font-except-latin if you modify
ps-mule-font-info-database-latin to handle Latin-9 instead of Latin-1.

Anyway, the original issue was this:

> On Fri, Jan 06 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Your message to which I replied made it sound like Emacs PostScript
> > printing is broken for anything but Latin-1.  Which is clearly not
> > true.  All one needs is download and install the GNU Intlfonts
> > package and customize a few variables as documented in ps-mule.el.

So, even if Latin-9 is not supported because Intlfonts doesn't have a
font for it, it doesn't mean only Latin-1 is supported.  Try printing
Latin-2, Latin-3, Cyrillic, Thai, Japanese, etc.

* Re: PostScript printing Latin-N (with N != 1)
@ 2006-01-11 15:55                 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-01-11 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 10 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> /usr/share/fonts/bdf$ ls
[...]
> Does any of these fonts support Latin-9?  If not, that's the reason
> for the empty box instead of the Euro.

I don't know.  Probably not, as you message on emacs-devel suggests.

> But if your printer has Latin-9 fonts, you could use
> 'bdf-font-except-latin if you modify
> ps-mule-font-info-database-latin to handle Latin-9 instead of
> Latin-1.

With the patch and setup suggested by Kenichi Handa I was able to
print Latin-9 but it was wrong for Latin-1.  (see my previous message:
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/9536>)

Maybe Emacs could do something similar to GNU enscript.  Printing my
sample file with "enscript --encoding=latin9" (and latin1) works
there: gs is able to display the correct glyphs.  (Since most
end-users don't have real PostScript printers, it should be possible
to render the output with gs as most print systems on GNU/Linux use
it, AFAIK.)

> Anyway, the original issue was this:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 06 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>
>> > Your message to which I replied made it sound like Emacs PostScript
>> > printing is broken for anything but Latin-1.  Which is clearly not
>> > true.  All one needs is download and install the GNU Intlfonts
>> > package and customize a few variables as documented in ps-mule.el.
>
> So, even if Latin-9 is not supported because Intlfonts doesn't have a
> font for it, it doesn't mean only Latin-1 is supported.

I didn't claim that it doesn't work for anything else but Latin-1.  I
only tested the most important encoding beyond Latin-1 for my region
which is Latin-9 because of the Euro sign.

> Try printing Latin-2, Latin-3, Cyrillic, Thai, Japanese, etc.

Printing the same file (with the €uro) encoded in UTF-8 fails with:
"bdf-read-font-info: BDF file etl24-unicode.bdf doesn't exist"

Printing the Thai example text from HELLO produces a PS file, but gs
can't display the PS file (as in my previous mail):

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-01-11 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:55:15 +0100
>
> With the patch and setup suggested by Kenichi Handa I was able to
> print Latin-9 but it was wrong for Latin-1.

Emacs 21 and 22 doesn't support Latin-1 and Latin-9 in the same
character set.

> Printing the same file (with the Euro) encoded in UTF-8 fails with:
> "bdf-read-font-info: BDF file etl24-unicode.bdf doesn't exist"

Well, it's quite clear what it tells you, yes?

> Printing the Thai example text from HELLO produces a PS file, but gs
> can't display the PS file (as in my previous mail):

So gs also has problems, or so it seems.

* Re: PostScript printing Latin-N (with N != 1)
@ 2006-01-11 21:55                   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-01-11 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.01.2006 um 16:55 schrieb Reiner Steib:

> Maybe Emacs could do something similar to GNU enscript.  Printing my
> sample file with "enscript --encoding=latin9"

Heh, since when is enscript supporting ISO Latin-9?! My "GNU enscript
1.6.1" provides no 88599.enc encoding file ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

   Basic, n.:
A programming language.  Related to certain social diseases in
that those who have it will not admit it in polite company.

* Re: PostScript printing Latin-N (with N != 1)
@ 2006-01-12 20:35                     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-01-12 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 11 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
>> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:55:15 +0100
>>
>> With the patch and setup suggested by Kenichi Handa I was able to
>> print Latin-9 but it was wrong for Latin-1.
>
> Emacs 21 and 22 doesn't support Latin-1 and Latin-9 in the same
> character set.

I meant two different buffers.  One containing _only_ Latin-1, the
other _only_ Latin-9 characters.

>> Printing the same file (with the Euro) encoded in UTF-8 fails with:
>> "bdf-read-font-info: BDF file etl24-unicode.bdf doesn't exist"
>
> Well, it's quite clear what it tells you, yes?

Sure, but I couldn't find this file neither in SuSE 9.2 or 10.0 nor on
a Debian GNU/Linux box.  Unless most of the major GNU/Linux
distributions include the required BDF fonts, using `bdf-font' is not
a feasible solution for end users.

>> Printing the Thai example text from HELLO produces a PS file, but gs
>> can't display the PS file (as in my previous mail):
>
> So gs also has problems, or so it seems.

Possible.  Or the created PS file is invalid.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2006-01-13  8:10                       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-01-13  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:35:31 +0100
>
> On Wed, Jan 11 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >> From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
> >> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:55:15 +0100
> >>
> >> With the patch and setup suggested by Kenichi Handa I was able to
> >> print Latin-9 but it was wrong for Latin-1.
> >
> > Emacs 21 and 22 doesn't support Latin-1 and Latin-9 in the same
> > character set.
>
> I meant two different buffers.  One containing _only_ Latin-1, the
> other _only_ Latin-9 characters.

In that case, it might be something in how you set up the ps-mule
database.  Perhaps it doesn't support more than one Latin-n set, I
never tried to do something like that myself, I only ever set it for a
single Latin character set.

> >> Printing the same file (with the Euro) encoded in UTF-8 fails with:
> >> "bdf-read-font-info: BDF file etl24-unicode.bdf doesn't exist"
> >
> > Well, it's quite clear what it tells you, yes?
>
> Sure, but I couldn't find this file neither in SuSE 9.2 or 10.0 nor on
> a Debian GNU/Linux box.  Unless most of the major GNU/Linux
> distributions include the required BDF fonts, using `bdf-font' is not
> a feasible solution for end users.

Here again you are too eager to generalize, I think: a single font is
missing, and already this is ``not a feasible solution''.  Given that
the current Emacs doesn't even support Unicode reasonably enough,
isn't it a tad too much to reject a package that covers most other
character sets?

> >> Printing the Thai example text from HELLO produces a PS file, but gs
> >> can't display the PS file (as in my previous mail):
> >
> > So gs also has problems, or so it seems.
>
> Possible.  Or the created PS file is invalid.

I have a PostScript printer.  If you really want to know which one of
these possibilities is true, send me the PS file and I will look.

* Re: PostScript printing Latin-N (with N != 1)
@ 2006-01-13 17:09                         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-01-13 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 13 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
[...]
>> I meant two different buffers.  One containing _only_ Latin-1, the
>> other _only_ Latin-9 characters.
>
> In that case, it might be something in how you set up the ps-mule
> database.  Perhaps it doesn't support more than one Latin-n set, I
> never tried to do something like that myself, I only ever set it for a
> single Latin character set.

I just tried what Handa suggested.  (See the URL I gave.)

>> > Well, it's quite clear what it tells you, yes?
>>
>> Sure, but I couldn't find this file neither in SuSE 9.2 or 10.0 nor on
>> a Debian GNU/Linux box.  Unless most of the major GNU/Linux
>> distributions include the required BDF fonts, using `bdf-font' is not
>> a feasible solution for end users.
>
> Here again you are too eager to generalize, I think: a single font is
> missing, and already this is ``not a feasible solution''.  Given that
> the current Emacs doesn't even support Unicode reasonably enough,

Do you mean Emacs 21 or Emacs 22?

> isn't it a tad too much to reject a package that covers most other
> character sets?

Eli, I don't reject the package.  I don't have any reason not to trust
you when you say that it works for most languages.  I don't want to
generalize, I'm only saying that it doesn't work for me in the very
specific test cases that I have tried.

Personally, I don't mind if I get a hollow square instead or I'll use
enscript or something else if I really want to see glyph.  I'm
thinking of users who will (once Emacs 22 is released) ask questions
like "How do I print text files containing the €uro sign in Emacs?".
Telling the user to install the "intlfonts-bdf" package an set a few
is okay.  But I can't find "etl24-unicode.bdf" (nor a BDF font for
Latin-9) neither in GNU/Linux distributions nor with Google.  IMHO,
most user would give up already if it doesn't work out-of-the-box.  Or
they will go for workaround like htmlize.el + printing from the
browser.

>> > So gs also has problems, or so it seems.
>>
>> Possible.  Or the created PS file is invalid.
>
> I have a PostScript printer.  If you really want to know which one of
> these possibilities is true, send me the PS file and I will look.

Sending it to a HP 4100 PostScript Printer (with "lpr -oraw") results
in no output on the printer (the display switches to "Processing job"
for a moment).  Printing a simple plain text with "lpr -oraw" works.

Here is the text file including the setup starting from "emacs -Q":
http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/misc/Thai-From-HELLO.gz
Here's the PostScript file:
http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/misc/ps-mule-bdf-Thai-From-HELLO.ps.gz
(gzipped to avoid possible corruption)

(I can also send them to you by mail if you don't have web access.)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)