* Can I get a better \ref{} functionality when editing Latex?
@ 2007-06-25  7:11 Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2007-06-25  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I always write my university stuff with Latex, I use emacs and auctex
for that, and the experience is almost perfect.
One thing annoys me a little bit, but I really think this should be
fixed easily, but I do not know how.
I declare a lot of labels in my document (e.g. for a formula
\label{eq:foo} or for a section \label{sec:bar} ...), and I always come
to the point, that I want to reference to a previous formula or section,
but I have forgot how I labled that, so I have to do I-Search-Backward
and look up the section and than go to the bottom of the document again,
 to enter my \ref{eq:bar} or \ref{eq:foo}.
I heared that other, specialized editiors for latex documents (*evil*),
have a functionality of popping up a list of the labels, when I enter
\ref{eq: or \ref{sec: for example.
Is there something similiar possible in emacs?

Greetz,
Christian

* Re: Can I get a better \ref{} functionality when editing Latex?
@ 2007-06-25  8:20 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2587.1182759665.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-06-25  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Herenz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.06.2007 um 09:11 schrieb Christian Herenz:

> I declare a lot of labels in my document (e.g. for a formula
> \label{eq:foo} or for a section \label{sec:bar} ...), and I always
> come
> to the point, that I want to reference to a previous formula or
> section,
> but I have forgot how I labled that, so I have to do I-Search-Backward
> and look up the section and than go to the bottom of the document
> again,
>  to enter my \ref{eq:bar} or \ref{eq:foo}.

You could split the view into two windows. In one you write, in the
other you search ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Ein Faulpelz ist ein Mensch, der sich nicht die Arbeit macht,
sein Nichtstun zu begründen.          (Gabriel Laub)

* Re: Can I get a better \ref{} functionality when editing Latex?
@ 2007-06-25  8:39 ` Joost Kremers
       [not found] ` <mailman.2587.1182759665.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2007-06-25  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christian Herenz wrote:
> I heared that other, specialized editiors for latex documents (*evil*),
> have a functionality of popping up a list of the labels, when I enter
> \ref{eq: or \ref{sec: for example.
> Is there something similiar possible in emacs?

yes: use auctex and reftex:

<http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/>

<http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/reftex.html>

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

@ 2007-06-25 16:19   ` Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2007-06-25 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa schrieb:

> You could split the view into two windows. In one you write, in the
> other you search ...

Nice Tip, however I think I have to read throug the reftex manual, as
soon as I have time! But until that I will try using two windows inside

@ 2007-06-25 17:28     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2007-06-25 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christian Herenz wrote:
> I think I have to read throug the reftex manual, as
> soon as I have time!

the old web page still has a reftex-in-a-nutshell page:

<http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/reftex/reftex-nutshell.html>

reftex can do a lot more than that, but that should get you started.