* bibtex label
@ 2006-10-10 11:55 mjh127
From: mjh127 @ 2006-10-10 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

when bibtex suggests a label for a publication written by author
'firstname lastname' it usually turns out to be 'lastnameYY' with YY
being the truncated year of publication. However, I want it to be
'lastnameYYYY' with the full year of publication. I probalby will have
to change some bibtex.el file. But which lines of the code are to be
changed and how?

* Re: bibtex label
@ 2006-10-10 14:33 ` Maarten Bergvelt
       [not found] ` <mailman.7970.1160491785.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2006-10-10 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1160481327.938393.94790@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, mjh127 wrote:
> when bibtex suggests a label for a publication written by author
> 'firstname lastname' it usually turns out to be 'lastnameYY' with YY
> being the truncated year of publication. However, I want it to be
> 'lastnameYYYY' with the full year of publication. I probalby will have
> to change some bibtex.el file. But which lines of the code are to be
> changed and how?

What do you mean by "bibtex suggests"? When I use bibtex it produces a
label, and what label is controled by the bibliography style. What is
a bibtex.el file? Are you using emacs as your editor? Are you asking a
question about the integration of bibtex with emacs?

Maybe you should read
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=BibTeXing

or chapter 12/13 of the Latex Companion?

Maybe you should give a minimal example of what you do now and
explain what you want to change.

Minimal example?
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl
Ask questions?
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=askquestion
--
Maarten Bergvelt

* Re: bibtex label
@ 2006-10-10 14:48 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.7970.1160491785.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-10-10 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

mjh127 wrote:
> when bibtex suggests a label for a publication written by author
> 'firstname lastname' it usually turns out to be 'lastnameYY' with YY
> being the truncated year of publication. However, I want it to be
> 'lastnameYYYY' with the full year of publication. I probalby will have
> to change some bibtex.el file. But which lines of the code are to be
> changed and how?

I don't even use bibtex, but it only took about a minute to find the
relevant option:

C-h v bibtex-autokey-year-length

--
Kevin

* Re: bibtex label
       [not found] ` <mailman.7970.1160491785.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-10-12  4:50   ` mjh127
From: mjh127 @ 2006-10-12  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you. That solved my problem immediately.
Manfred.