From: tristero <tristero@waste.net>
Subject: Re: Opt/Fn as meta? (emacs on macs)
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 16:40:48 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <3EBBB6D5.2000803@mcw.edu>, Rodney Sparapani wrote:
> tristero wrote:
>
>>In article <090520030440528694%ajanta@no.spam>, Ajanta wrote:
>>

>>>But I would also like to try defining
>>>Option as Meta. What is the .emacs command for this? Thanks.
>>>
>>I just posted a description of this for all three osx emacs
>>"window-systems" (terminal, carbon/aqua, x11) yesterday.
>>
> Huh.  Where did you post that?

Earlier in this thread.  Here it is again:

There are three cases here, only one of which requires a .emacs
change:

1. Running in a Terminal (either gnuemacs or xemacs).  Enable the
   Emulation preference "Use option as meta key".  You might also find
   it useful to enable "Option click to position cursor", which gives
   you some very basic mouse functionality.

2.  Running the carbon gnuemacs.  Here you want to add a line to
    .emacs:

   (setq mac-command-key-is-meta nil)

   The effect of this is to make Option act as Meta and Command act as
   Alt.  For clarity you may want to conditionalize this to (eq
   window-system 'mac).  But it's not strictly necessary to do so.

3.  Running in X11 (either gnuemacs or xemacs).  Here you need to
    change the X11 modmap.  I put the following in ~/.Xmodmap:

    clear mod1
    keycode 66 = Meta_L
    keycode 63 = Mode_switch
    add mod1 = Meta_L

    As in case (2), the effect of this is to make Option be Meta and
    Command be Alt. NB: the keycode values could well be specific to
    the Apple Pro keyboard.