* trailing whitespace visible on some buffers
@ 2002-09-14  9:45 Luis O. Silva
       [not found] ` <mailman.1032257775.4079.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Luis O. Silva @ 2002-09-14  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Emacs community,

This is an elementary question, but I haven't found the
solution of my problem.

I want to set the buffer-local variable
`show-trailing-whitespace' to `t' for all buffers except
for *info*, *diary*, *calendar*, and *mail presentation*. In
the emacs node of info I found how to set local variables to
different _modes_ using "hooks", but I don't know how to set
buffer-local variables to concrete buffers.

Thank you very much in advance,
luis

--
Luis Octavio Silva P.
St. Petersburg State University.

* Calendar's buffer hooks (was trailing whitespace visible on some buffers)
@ 2002-09-17 10:30 ` Luis O. Silva
       [not found] ` <mailman.1032257775.4079.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Luis O. Silva @ 2002-09-17 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Emacs community,

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 13:45:34 +0400, I wrote:

   Luis> I want to set the buffer-local variable
   Luis> `show-trailing-whitespace' to `t' for all buffers
   Luis> except for *info*, *diary*, *calendar*, and *mail
   Luis> presentation*. In the emacs node of info I found how
   Luis> to set local variables to different _modes_ using
   Luis> "hooks", but I don't know how to set buffer-local
   Luis> variables to concrete buffers.

With your help I've almost solved the problem, I just need to
know the name of the hooks that take place after the
*calendar* buffer is created.

I've tried the following variants: (after making visible
whitespaces globally)

1. (add-hook 'today-visible-calendar-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq show-trailing-whitespace nil)))

==> the whitespaces disappear only when I scroll the calendar
   or hit "d" or "h".

2. (add-hook 'calendar-load-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq show-trailing-whitespace nil)))

==> whitespaces don't disappear.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

--
Luis Octavio Silva P.
St. Petersburg State University.
66/3 Botanicheskaya St., Apt.119/2
Stary Peterhof
St. Petersburg, Russia.

* Re: Calendar's buffer hooks (was trailing whitespace visible on some buffers)
       [not found] ` <mailman.1032257775.4079.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-17 10:49   ` Simon Hooper
From: Simon Hooper @ 2002-09-17 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1032257775.4079.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>, Luis O. Silva wrote:
> .....I've almost solved the problem, I just need to know the name of
> the hooks that take place after the *calendar* buffer is created.
>
> I've tried the following variants: (after making visible
> whitespaces globally)
>
> 1. (add-hook 'today-visible-calendar-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (setq show-trailing-whitespace nil)))
>
>==> the whitespaces disappear only when I scroll the calendar
>    or hit "d" or "h".
>
> 2. (add-hook 'calendar-load-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (setq show-trailing-whitespace nil)))
>
>==> whitespaces don't disappear.

I've been trying to do the same thing for a while. Unfortunately my
knowledge of lisp is nonexistent :( I use the diary and calendar and
have been using the following in my ~/.emacs

(defun simon-calendar-function ()
  (turn-off-auto-fill)
  (turn-off-filladapt-mode)
  (flyspell-mode nil)
  (setq show-trailing-whitespace nil)
)
(add-hook 'calendar-mode-hook 'simon-calendar-function)
(add-hook 'diary-hook 'simon-calendar-function)

This works fine for the diary, but I still have the white space
markers in my calendar. I have also tried using the calendar-load-hook.

Any ideas?

Simon.

--
Simon Hooper

* Re: Calendar's buffer hooks
@ 2002-09-18  8:36     ` Karl Eichwalder
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1032412637.13710.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-09-18  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Hooper <simon@trickshot.nu> writes:

> (add-hook 'calendar-mode-hook 'simon-calendar-function)

calendar-mode-hook isn't defined.  Try:

(add-hook 'initial-calendar-window-hook 'simon-calendar-function)

I just found it's documented in the manual:

File: elisp,  Node: Calendar Customizing,  Next: Holiday Customizing,  Up: Calendar

Customizing the Calendar

[...]

   Starting the calendar runs the normal hook
`initial-calendar-window-hook'.  Recomputation of the calendar display
does not run this hook.  But if you leave the calendar with the `q'
command and reenter it, the hook runs again.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o

* Re: Calendar's buffer hooks
@ 2002-09-19  5:32       ` Luis O. Silva
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1032412637.13710.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Luis O. Silva @ 2002-09-19  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Karl,

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:36:32 +0200, Karl Eichwalder writes:

   Karl> Simon Hooper <simon@trickshot.nu> writes:
   >> (add-hook 'calendar-mode-hook 'simon-calendar-function)

   Karl> calendar-mode-hook isn't defined.  Try:

   Karl> (add-hook 'initial-calendar-window-hook
   Karl> 'simon-calendar-function)

   Karl> I just found it's documented in the manual:

I don't know why but, when using
`initial-calendar-window-hook' in the following:

(setq-default show-trailing-whitespace t)
(add-hook 'initial-calendar-window-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq show-trailing-whitespace nil)))

the trailing whitespace disappears only partially (!!!???) and,
after some event take place (or after some time --~30 sec.)
(!!!???), it disappears completely. The result is similar to
the one obtained using the hook: `today-visible-calendar-hook'.

Could anybody explain why this delay happens?
Thank you.

luis

--

@ 2002-09-20 18:51         ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-09-20 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Luis O. Silva" <silva@paloma.spbu.ru> writes:

> (setq-default show-trailing-whitespace t)
> (add-hook 'initial-calendar-window-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (setq show-trailing-whitespace nil)))
>
> the trailing whitespace disappears only partially (!!!???) and,
> after some event take place (or after some time --~30 sec.)
> (!!!???), it disappears completely. The result is similar to
> the one obtained using the hook: `today-visible-calendar-hook'.

It works for me as it should.  Please, consider to file a bug report
after updating to version 21.2.

For bug reporting read the manual: C-h r mBugs RET .