* auto-mode-alist for minor modes?
@ 2003-09-11  5:23 David Vanderschel
From: David Vanderschel @ 2003-09-11  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Though the naming for the auto-mode-alist variable is
neutral, the documentation for auto-mode-alist only
talks about _major_ modes.  I would like to use it to
invoke a _minor_ mode when a file with a given
extension is loaded.  I have tried this, and it seems
to work.  Is there some subtle way I am going to get
myself in trouble doing this?

It seems to me that set-auto-mode does not know
whether the function associated with the extension is
a major mode starter or a minor mode starter.  It is
just going to call it once the buffer is set up.  That
is all I want.  But I know there are numerous
potential 'gotchas' in emacs, so I seek reassurance
or, if necessary, correction.

Regards,
  David V.