* How to set proxy for smtpmail.el ?
@ 2020-07-20  2:50 numbchild
From: numbchild @ 2020-07-20  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-help

I'm unable to send email with smtpmail.el

I think it might be because of the internet censorship firewall in China.
So I decided to use a proxy for smtpmail. I have not found the smtpmail
options for setting proxy. Then I dive into `smtpmail-send-it` function
source code. Found it uses `open-network-stream` to send email. Then the
question is then how to set a proxy for `open-network-stream`? I checked
this function's arguments. No result.

Thank you in advance here.

[stardiviner]           <Hack this world!>      GPG key ID: 47C32433
IRC(freeenode): stardiviner                     Twitter:  @numbchild
Key fingerprint = 9BAA 92BC CDDD B9EF 3B36  CB99 B8C4 B8E5 47C3 2433
Blog: http://stardiviner.github.io/

* Re: How to set proxy for smtpmail.el ?
@ 2020-07-20  8:57 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-07-20  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: numbchild; +Cc: emacs-help

    stardiviner> I'm unable to send email with smtpmail.el
    stardiviner> I think it might be because of the internet censorship firewall in China.
    stardiviner> So I decided to use a proxy for smtpmail. I have not found the smtpmail
    stardiviner> options for setting proxy. Then I dive into `smtpmail-send-it` function
    stardiviner> source code. Found it uses `open-network-stream` to send email. Then the
    stardiviner> question is then how to set a proxy for `open-network-stream`? I checked
    stardiviner> this function's arguments. No result.

SMTP via a proxy sounds like a bad idea: you give the proxy access to
all your email. Having said that, thereʼs a socks.el which contains
'socks-open-network-stream' that might work for you. Iʼve not tried it
myself.

Robert

* Re: How to set proxy for smtpmail.el ?
@ 2020-07-20 18:23   ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-07-20 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-help

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:
> SMTP via a proxy sounds like a bad idea: you give the proxy access to all your email.

Perhaps, it worth clarifying, that this is about SOCKS-proxies as they are currently supported by GNU Emacs.  Normally, SOCKS and TLS are _not_ mutually exclusive.

Actually, Google simply would not allow you to do a mistake of establishing unenciphered connection there, via proxy or not.

> Having said that, thereʼs a socks.el which contains 'socks-open-network-stream' that might work for you.

That is, it should not.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to set proxy for smtpmail.el ?
@ 2020-07-20 18:26 ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-07-20 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: numbchild; +Cc: emacs-help