* Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 13:57 uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-07 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

How can I access "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.

Could we have something like this (elintro with el for elisp)

C-h i m elintr <Ret>

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 14:09 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-07 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 13:57:32 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
>

> How can I access "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.

It's on the Help menu, under "More Manuals".

Alternatively, "C-h i" shows a large menu, where you should be able to
find this manual as one of the possibilities.

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 14:34   ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-07 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-07 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 14:34:35 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > > Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 13:57:32 +0000
> > > From: uzibalqa uzibalqa@proton.me
> > >
> > > How can I access "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
> >

> > It's on the Help menu, under "More Manuals".
> >
> > Alternatively, "C-h i" shows a large menu, where you should be able to
> > find this manual as one of the possibilities.
>
> I can easily get the "Emacs Manual", the "Emacs Lisp Manual".  Both with
> "C-h i m" .  So way skip "Emacs Lisp Intro".
>
> I do not have to search for the two aforementioned manuals, so let's not
> have users search for "Emacs Lisp Intro" either.
>
> This is my suggestion
>
> C-h i m elintr <Ret>

We have a better one: "C-h i m Emacs Lisp Intro RET"

> Furthermore, please note that after calling 'm' users cannot input strings
> with spaces for "Emacs Lisp Intro".

They can in my Emacs.

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 15:12       ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2023-07-07 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 07 Jul 2023 17:49:54 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 14:34:35 +0000
>> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

>> > It's on the Help menu, under "More Manuals".
>> >
>> > Alternatively, "C-h i" shows a large menu, where you should be able to
>> > find this manual as one of the possibilities.
>>
>> I can easily get the "Emacs Manual", the "Emacs Lisp Manual".  Both with
>> "C-h i m" .  So way skip "Emacs Lisp Intro".
>>
>> I do not have to search for the two aforementioned manuals, so let's not
>> have users search for "Emacs Lisp Intro" either.
>>
>> This is my suggestion
>>
>> C-h i m elintr <Ret>
>
> We have a better one: "C-h i m Emacs Lisp Intro RET"

This also works:

g, then at the prompt: (eintr) RET

But you have to know the file name is "eintr" (not "elintr").

Steve Berman

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 15:31       ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-07 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > > It's on the Help menu, under "More Manuals".
> > >
> > > Alternatively, "C-h i" shows a large menu, where you should be able to
> > > find this manual as one of the possibilities.
> >
> > I can easily get the "Emacs Manual", the "Emacs Lisp Manual". Both with
> > "C-h i m" . So way skip "Emacs Lisp Intro".
> >
> > I do not have to search for the two aforementioned manuals, so let's not
> > have users search for "Emacs Lisp Intro" either.
> >
> > This is my suggestion
> >
> > C-h i m elintr <Ret>
>
> We have a better one: "C-h i m Emacs Lisp Intro RET"

Could we group the Emacs Nodes according to some categorisation ?

EMACS

Emacs Manuals
* Emacs: (emacs).               The extensible self-documenting text editor.
* Emacs FAQ: (efaq).            Frequently Asked Questions about Emacs.
* Elisp: (elisp).               The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual.
* Emacs Lisp Intro: (eintr).    Simple introduction to Emacs Lisp programming.

Emacs Modes
* CC Mode: (ccmode).            Emacs mode for editing C, C++, Objective-C,
                                  Java, Pike, AWK, and CORBA IDL code.
* IDLWAVE: (idlwave).           Major mode and shell for IDL files.
* Octave mode: (octave-mode).   Emacs mode for editing GNU Octave files.
* Org Mode: (org).              Outline-based notes management and organizer.
* VHDL Mode: (vhdl-mode).       Emacs mode for editing VHDL code.
* nXML Mode: (nxml-mode).       XML editing mode with RELAX NG support.

> > Furthermore, please note that after calling 'm' users cannot input strings
> > with spaces for "Emacs Lisp Intro".
>

> They can in my Emacs.

I must have been in some other mode rather than "Info (dir)Top".

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 15:41         ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-07 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > > I can easily get the "Emacs Manual", the "Emacs Lisp Manual". Both with
> > > "C-h i m" . So way skip "Emacs Lisp Intro".
> > >
> > > I do not have to search for the two aforementioned manuals, so let's not
> > > have users search for "Emacs Lisp Intro" either.
> > >
> > > This is my suggestion
> > >
> > > C-h i m elintr <Ret>
> >
> > We have a better one: "C-h i m Emacs Lisp Intro RET"
>

> This also works:
>
> g, then at the prompt: (eintr) RET

Managed to get it to work.  It would be quicker to forego the need
for parentheses when using "g".

@ 2023-07-07 15:48           ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2023-07-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 07 Jul 2023 15:41:01 +0000 uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> wrote:

> [...]

Without the parentheses `g' only recognizes nodes in the current Info
file.  The parentheses are needed to jump to a different Info file, and
you can add a node name after the parentheses; omitting the node name
sends you to the top-level node of the file named in the parentheses.

Steve Berman

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 16:02             ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-07 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > On Saturday, July 8th, 2023 at 3:12 AM, Stephen Berman
> > stephen.berman@gmx.net wrote:

> > > This also works:
> > >
> > > g, then at the prompt: (eintr) RET
> >
> > Managed to get it to work. It would be quicker to forego the need
> > for parentheses when using "g".
>

> Without the parentheses `g' only recognizes nodes in the current Info
> file. The parentheses are needed to jump to a different Info file, and
> you can add a node name after the parentheses; omitting the node name
> sends you to the top-level node of the file named in the parentheses.
>
> Steve Berman

If I am in Info (dir)Top, why not allow me using "g" without the parentheses.
After all, why require users to know the different info file names.  I do not see
it easy to find the list of info files directly from "The Info Directory" (dir)Top.

All these things are not self evident for newbies, who want to view the manuals.
And I do not see an Intro for newbies on how to use Info within Emacs to view manuals.

Perhaps there can be a categorisation of Info File Names that can be perused ?

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 18:07         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-07 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 15:31:51 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > We have a better one: "C-h i m Emacs Lisp Intro RET"
>
> Could we group the Emacs Nodes according to some categorisation ?

We already do.

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-07 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 16:02:51 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> If I am in Info (dir)Top, why not allow me using "g" without the parentheses.

You are not supposed to use 'g' in this situation.

You have taken the least useful response to your questions and
disregarded all the rest.  The other responses would allow you to find
this manual much easier, without all the weird quirks that the 'g'
command requires.  Using 'g' for going to another manual is considered
"advanced usage" of Info, so it uses tricky syntax, and newbies are
well advised to stay away.

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 18:32           ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-07 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > > We have a better one: "C-h i m Emacs Lisp Intro RET"
> >
> > Could we group the Emacs Nodes according to some categorisation ?
>

> We already do.

Nodes are not categorised when scrolling down Info (dir)Top and reaching Emacs.
All Emacs nodes huddled together.

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 18:46                 ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-07 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > If I am in Info (dir)Top, why not allow me using "g" without the parentheses.
>

> You are not supposed to use 'g' in this situation.
>
> You have taken the least useful response to your questions and
> disregarded all the rest. The other responses would allow you to find
> this manual much easier, without all the weird quirks that the 'g'
> command requires. Using 'g' for going to another manual is considered
> "advanced usage" of Info, so it uses tricky syntax, and newbies are
> well advised to stay away.

Going to another manual should not be "advanced usage".  Newbies would
want to be able to go to a different manual.  It would be neat to have
the ability to use completion for the different manuals available on the\
system and also have it as a help feature.

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 19:07             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-07 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 18:32:21 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > > Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 15:31:51 +0000
> > > From: uzibalqa uzibalqa@proton.me
> > > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> > >
> > > Could we group the Emacs Nodes according to some categorisation ?
> >

> > We already do.
>
> Nodes are not categorised when scrolling down Info (dir)Top and reaching Emacs.
> All Emacs nodes huddled together.

Which is exactly the categorization that we want to have there, to
make it easier for users to find Emacs-related items.

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-07 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 18:46:55 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

That's NOT what I said, please don't misquote!  I said that going to
another manual _using_the_'g'_command_ is advanced usage.  The usual
way to go to another manual, which is recommended to users, is either
via the DIR menu (to which you can go by pressing 'd'), or "C-h R",
which prompts for the manual.

> It would be neat to have the ability to use completion for the
> different manuals available on the\ system and also have it as a
> help feature.

Both 'm' in the DIR node and "C-h R" provide completion, so we already
have that.

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 19:17               ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-07 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > > We already do.
> >
> > Nodes are not categorised when scrolling down Info (dir)Top and reaching Emacs.
> > All Emacs nodes huddled together.
>

> Which is exactly the categorization that we want to have there, to
> make it easier for users to find Emacs-related items.

Am not objecting to having Emacs-related items together.  The suggestion is
to sub-categorise the different Emacs-related items under the Emacs Heading.

Obviously, some are basic (e.g. emacs and elisp manuals), others are about
special modes (CC, Octave, Org), whilst others are much more advanced (mail
systems and other interfaces).

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-07 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 19:17:31 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Am not objecting to having Emacs-related items together.  The suggestion is
> to sub-categorise the different Emacs-related items under the Emacs Heading.

They are there already, you even show them in your original message.

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 19:51                   ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-07 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > Am not objecting to having Emacs-related items together. The suggestion is
> > to sub-categorise the different Emacs-related items under the Emacs Heading.
>

> They are there already, you even show them in your original message.

They are not.  What I showed was my suggestion to visually display some form of
categorisation.

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-07 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 19:51:01 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Yes, they are: look at the file DIR that comes with Emacs.

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 20:10                       ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-07 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

> > > They are there already, you even show them in your original message.
> >
> > They are not.
>

> Yes, they are: look at the file DIR that comes with Emacs.

I am using GNU Emacs 29.0.50 and there exists no categorisation once
you get to the Emacs parts.

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-07 21:57                         ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2023-07-07 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 07 Jul 2023 20:10:57 +0000 uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> wrote:

> Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

The subcategory headers are removed by Info-dir-remove-duplicates when
the "Info directory node [is constructed] by merging the files named
`dir' from various directories" (quoting the comment at the start of
Info-insert-dir).

Steve Berman

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-08  6:17                         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-08  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 20:10:57 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > > They are not.
> >

> > Yes, they are: look at the file DIR that comes with Emacs.
>
> I am using GNU Emacs 29.0.50 and there exists no categorisation once
> you get to the Emacs parts.

If you built Emacs yourself, look at the file info/dir in the build
tree.

If someone else built it, ask them about it.

* Re: Accessing "Introduction to Emacs Lisp Manual" from Info within Emacs.
@ 2023-07-08 12:48                           ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-08 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

> > > Yes, they are: look at the file DIR that comes with Emacs.
> >
> > I am using GNU Emacs 29.0.50 and there exists no categorisation once
> > you get to the Emacs parts.
>

> If you built Emacs yourself, look at the file info/dir in the build
> tree.
>
> If someone else built it, ask them about it.

Steve Berman revealed that the subcategory headers are removed by
Info-dir-remove-duplicates.