* Regex search and replace End Of line
@ 2003-08-30 17:32 Herb Martin
From: Herb Martin @ 2003-08-30 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know this must be easy but have yet to find it in
help:

Goal:  Search for pattern at end of line and remove the
pattern INCLUDING the line termination.

(Tried using several of the replace-regex functions
unsuccessfully.)

example--------------------------------------------------------
test text etc test text =
some stuff
test text etc test text =
some stuff
test text etc test text =
some stuff
-------------------result---------------------------------------
test text etc test text some stuff
test text etc test text some stuff
test text etc test text some stuff

FYI, it was mangled by email encoding.
--
Herb Martin

* Re: Regex search and replace End Of line
@ 2003-08-30 18:10 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-08-30 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> writes:

> Goal:  Search for pattern at end of line and remove the
> pattern INCLUDING the line termination.
>
> example--------------------------------------------------------
> test text etc test text =
> some stuff
> test text etc test text =
> some stuff
> test text etc test text =
> some stuff

C-q is your friend:

M-% = C-q C-j RET RET

> -------------------result---------------------------------------
> test text etc test text some stuff
> test text etc test text some stuff
> test text etc test text some stuff

Johan Bockgård

* Re: Regex search and replace End Of line
@ 2003-08-30 19:23   ` Herb Martin
From: Herb Martin @ 2003-08-30 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> C-q is your friend:
>
> M-% = C-q C-j RET RET

Thanks -- I was a little uncertain about the "C-j" since this is
a Windows System and I thought it might be "C-m C-j" but
JUST the "C-j" worked fine.

Seems Emacs -- likes Perl -- on Windows does the "right thing"
with EOL.

Oddly enough I am having trouble with C-M-%  (there is special
processing on Windows for Alt which I am suspecting) -- if I
just hit, Ctrl-Alt-Shift for "%" it does nothing -- but if I hit
    Ctrl-Alt-5, hold the shifting keys (Ctrl-Alt) and add Shift-%
    it works.

Doesn't seem to matter what order I depress the shifting keys
(nor trying to depress them all simultaneously.)

There is probably a simpler method, or fix but it works for now.

Herb Martin