* Make a Cocoa package of emacs
@ 2008-11-22 10:29 Rémy Hubscher
From: Rémy Hubscher @ 2008-11-22 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello everyone,

I would like to make an Emacs.app Mac OS X package of the current CVS tree (
23.0.60.*)
I didn't find the old make-package --self-contained script to enable me to
do that.

Does anyone knows how to compile Emacs for Mac OS X without X but with Cocoa
or Carbon.

My current version of emacs is : GNU Emacs
22.2.50.1(i386-apple-darwin9.4.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0) of 2008-07-17

Thanks you.
Best Regards

Rémy Hubscher

* Re: Make a Cocoa package of emacs
@ 2008-11-22 15:27 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-22 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To:  Rémy Hubscher ; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.11.2008 um 11:29 schrieb Rémy Hubscher:

> Does anyone knows how to compile Emacs for Mac OS X without X but
> with Cocoa
> or Carbon.

There is no Carbon variant of GNU Emacs 23. The Cocoa version,
Emacs.app, can be easily built from configure (--help), then 'make
bootstrap' and, when all went fine, 'sudo make install' and dragging
Emacs.app from the nextstep subdirectory to /Applications or such.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Atheism is a non prophet organization.

* Re: Make a Cocoa package of emacs
@ 2008-11-22 15:33   ` Rémy Hubscher
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1029.1227371885.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rémy Hubscher @ 2008-11-22 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks you, I didn't know that nextstep was for MacOS X then I read
the NextStep install and understood how to do :)

Regards

Rémy

@ 2008-11-22 15:45   ` Rémy Hubscher
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1033.1227383156.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1029.1227371885.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rémy Hubscher @ 2008-11-22 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Arg, in this new version, I am in trouble !!

I don't know how to access the alternate key since alt is now map
correctly.

When I press alt-( I get () instead of {

Do you know how I can access my Apple FR strange keys ?

Thanks :)

@ 2008-11-22 19:45     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1033.1227383156.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-22 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Rémy Hubscher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.11.2008 um 16:45 schrieb Rémy Hubscher:

> Do you know how I can access my Apple FR strange keys ?

Have you found the preferences pane? There is also some extra
documentation available.

My German keyboard layout is understood by Emacs.app when I have the
German keyboard layout active, shown by a German flag in the menu
bar, which is set in System Preferences.

--
Greetings

   Pete

A blizzard is when it snows sideways.

* Re: Make a Cocoa package of emacs
@ 2008-11-22 22:16       ` Rémy Hubscher
From: Rémy Hubscher @ 2008-11-22 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa

In the documentation, I tried (setq mac-command-key-is-meta t) but it
does not seams to work anymore.

Any tips ?

Regards

Rémy

@ 2008-11-24 15:16       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-11-24 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 20:45:43 +0100 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

PD> Am 22.11.2008 um 16:45 schrieb Rémy Hubscher:

>> Do you know how I can access my Apple FR strange keys ?

PD> Have you found the preferences pane? There is also some extra
PD> documentation available.

PD> My German keyboard layout is understood by Emacs.app when I have the
PD> German keyboard layout active, shown by a German flag in the menu
PD> bar, which is set in System Preferences.

I have a related problem: the keypad keys (e.g. / * + -) are interpreted
by Emacs.app (through C-h k) as the same keys on the main keyboard.
IOW, I can't map the keypad keys by themselves to a function.  Is there
a way to do that?

Ted

* Re: Make a Cocoa package of emacs
@ 2008-11-24 18:29         ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2008-11-24 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 24, 7:16 am, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> I have a related problem: the keypad keys (e.g. / * + -) are interpreted
> by Emacs.app (through C-h k) as the same keys on the main keyboard.
> IOW, I can't map the keypad keys by themselves to a function.  Is there
> a way to do that?

about half a year or a year ago, i had the same question and asked on
the mac emacs mailing list. The author of Emacs.app said it is a bug
and he didn't know how to fix it.

for me, i couldn't use Emacs.app until this is fixed...

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Make a Cocoa package of emacs
@ 2008-11-24 20:14           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-11-24 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:29:05 -0800 (PST) Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:

XL> On Nov 24, 7:16 am, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> I have a related problem: the keypad keys (e.g. / * + -) are interpreted
>> by Emacs.app (through C-h k) as the same keys on the main keyboard.
>> IOW, I can't map the keypad keys by themselves to a function.  Is there
>> a way to do that?

XL> about half a year or a year ago, i had the same question and asked on
XL> the mac emacs mailing list. The author of Emacs.app said it is a bug
XL> and he didn't know how to fix it.

XL> for me, i couldn't use Emacs.app until this is fixed...

For me it's inconvenient but IMHO the unlogged silent crashes I have
reported are much worse, since I actually lose state and work.

Ted

@ 2008-11-27 19:33     ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2008-11-27 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

+ Rémy Hubscher <hubscher.remy@gmail.com>:

> Arg, in this new version, I am in trouble !!
>
> I don't know how to access the alternate key since alt is now map
> correctly.
>
> When I press alt-( I get () instead of {
>
> Do you know how I can access my Apple FR strange keys ?

  (setq mac-option-modifier 'none)
  (setq mac-command-modifier 'meta)

The first line solves your immediate problem, the second ensures you
still have a meta key.

  -- Bertrand Russell