* Emacs running on Mac OS
@ 2008-12-15 21:44 Alberto Simões
From: Alberto Simões @ 2008-12-15 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.

I just compiled emacs with the --with-ns option (cocoa). Trying to get
back to the origins. TextMate sucks :)

Now I have two main problems:

- The apple/command key does not work as meta/alt key. That would be a
beneffit. It would make it easier to type (the alt key in a macbook
pro is misplaced ;))

- When activating flyspell mode, things get SLOW. Is there any way to
fix that? I am now sure if it is ispell/aspell fault, or if it is a
rendering problem.

Thank you
Alberto
--
Alberto Simões

* Re: Emacs running on Mac OS
       [not found] <mailman.2901.1229494596.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-12-17  7:48 ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2008-12-17  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

+ "Alberto Simões" <hashashin@gmail.com>:

> I just compiled emacs with the --with-ns option (cocoa). Trying to get
> back to the origins. TextMate sucks :)
>
> Now I have two main problems:
>
> - The apple/command key does not work as meta/alt key. That would be a
> beneffit. It would make it easier to type (the alt key in a macbook
> pro is misplaced ;))

I use

(when (eq window-system 'ns)
  (setq mac-command-modifier 'meta)
  (setq mac-option-modifier 'none))

I can't help with your second problem.

  -- Bertrand Russell

* Re: Emacs running on Mac OS
@ 2008-12-17 10:29 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-12-17 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Simões; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.12.2008 um 22:44 schrieb Alberto Simões:

> - The apple/command key does not work as meta/alt key. That would be a
> beneffit. It would make it easier to type (the alt key in a macbook
> pro is misplaced ;))

Check the preferences pane – it's a Mac application!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Sending unsolicited commercial eMail to this account incurs a fee of
€ 500 per message and acknowledges the legality of this contract.

* Re: Emacs running on Mac OS
@ 2009-03-26 21:42   ` Alberto Simões
From: Alberto Simões @ 2009-03-26 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 15.12.2008 um 22:44 schrieb Alberto Simões:
>
>> - The apple/command key does not work as meta/alt key. That would be a
>> beneffit. It would make it easier to type (the alt key in a macbook
>> pro is misplaced ;))
>
> Check the preferences pane – it's a Mac application!

I am getting some problems accessing the preferences pane:

    Symbol's function definition is void: ns-popup-prefs-panel

Any hints on what it might be happening?

Thanks
Alberto
--
Alberto Simões

* Re: Emacs running on Mac OS
@ 2009-03-28  8:54     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-28  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Simões; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.03.2009 um 22:42 schrieb Alberto Simões:

> Any hints on what it might be happening?

As already found by others on the list, the preferences pane has gone
one or two months ago. See nextstep/ChangeLog.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Imbecility, n.:
	A kind of divine inspiration, or sacred fire affecting
	censorious critics of this dictionary.
			– Ambrose Bierce: _The Devil's Dictionary_

* Re: Emacs running on Mac OS
@ 2009-03-28 11:03       ` Alberto Simões
From: Alberto Simões @ 2009-03-28 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

2009/3/28 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de>:

> Am 26.03.2009 um 22:42 schrieb Alberto Simões:
>
>> Any hints on what it might be happening?
>

> As already found by others on the list, the preferences pane has gone one or
> two months ago. See nextstep/ChangeLog.

OK. Then, why in hell is the shortcut still invoking it? :-/

And now, where we change the keyboard behaviour? Directly on Emacs
configuration?

Thank you
Alberto

--
Alberto Simões

* Re: Emacs running on Mac OS
@ 2009-03-28 17:01         ` Alberto Simões
From: Alberto Simões @ 2009-03-28 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2009/3/28 Alberto Simões <hashashin@gmail.com>:
> And now, where we change the keyboard behaviour? Directly on Emacs
> configuration?

It seems so.
Cool.

--
Alberto Simões

* Re: Emacs running on Mac OS
@ 2009-03-28 17:10         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-28 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Simões; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.03.2009 um 12:03 schrieb Alberto Simões:

> OK. Then, why in hell is the shortcut still invoking it? :-/

Someone made an error/forgot to change a thing. You should report
this bug!

> And now, where we change the keyboard behaviour? Directly on Emacs
> configuration?

 From the menu, as already mentioned on this list.

--
Greetings

   Pete

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..."
				– Isaac Asimov