* bibtex-validate-globally
@ 2007-01-21  7:57 Greg Bognar
From: Greg Bognar @ 2007-01-21  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a question about the funtion bibtex-validate-globally.
According to its description, it should check for duplicate keys in
the variable bibtex-files.  By default (in bibtex.el), this variable
is set to nil, so the function does not do anything.  However, if I
set it to bibtex-file-path, whose value is given by (correctly) the
variable BIBINPUTS, it gives me a Wrong type argument: listp, [value
of bibtex-file-path].  So it seems that even though BibTeX sees my
dedicated directory of bibliography files, bibtex-validate-globally
does not work.

It would be nice if it did work, since I have a number of bibliography
databases in that directory, and bibtex-validate-globally could be
very useful to find duplicate keys.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Greg

* Re: bibtex-validate-globally
@ 2007-01-21 13:26 ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2007-01-21 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Bognar <greg.bognar@gmail.com> writes:
> I have a question about the funtion bibtex-validate-globally.
> According to its description, it should check for duplicate keys in
> the variable bibtex-files.  By default (in bibtex.el), this variable
> is set to nil, so the function does not do anything.  However, if I
> set it to bibtex-file-path, whose value is given by (correctly) the
> variable BIBINPUTS, it gives me a Wrong type argument: listp, [value
> of bibtex-file-path].

The value of bibtex-files must be a list. One element of this list
can be the *symbol* bibtex-file-path. So

  (setq bibtex-files '(bibtex-file-path))

is probably what you want.

Roland

* Re: bibtex-validate-globally
@ 2007-01-21 19:04   ` Greg Bognar
From: Greg Bognar @ 2007-01-21 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:26:20 +0100, Roland Winkler wrote:

> Greg Bognar <greg.bognar@gmail.com> writes:
>> I have a question about the funtion bibtex-validate-globally. According
>> to its description, it should check for duplicate keys in the variable
>> bibtex-files.  By default (in bibtex.el), this variable is set to nil,
>> so the function does not do anything.  However, if I set it to
>> bibtex-file-path, whose value is given by (correctly) the variable
>> BIBINPUTS, it gives me a Wrong type argument: listp, [value of
>> bibtex-file-path].
>
> The value of bibtex-files must be a list. One element of this list can be
> the *symbol* bibtex-file-path. So
>
>   (setq bibtex-files '(bibtex-file-path))
>
> is probably what you want.

What a stupid mistake -- I used the wrong syntax.
Thanks!