* reftex+cc mode?
@ 2007-02-03 22:37 Jeff D. Hamann
From: Jeff D. Hamann @ 2007-02-03 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm not sure how uncool this question is, but...

Are there any emacs packages, modes, anything that allows people to navigate
around in a c/c++/fortran/etc. file with the ease of moving around a LaTeX
in reftex?

For example, out of habit this afternoon, I wanted to navigate around in a
couple of source code files, and intsinctively hit reftex's C-c =
(reftex-toc) thinking I would have a list of functions and that I could
simply move to the function, variable definition, etc. I wanted, hit return
and get to work. I then thought, huh, that would be a great package to be
able to navigate around in a software project much like I do in latex/sweave
projects.

Is there anything like this? I've never gotten ECB to work (win32 problem,
dependencies, etc.?) and I don't know of a way to automagically generate
TAGS files, but think this would be dreamy!

Novicely,
Jeff.

* RE: reftex+cc mode?
@ 2007-02-03 23:05 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-02-03 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff D. Hamann, help-gnu-emacs

> Are there any emacs packages, modes, anything that allows people
> to navigate around in a c/c++/fortran/etc. file with the ease of moving
> around a LaTeX in reftex?

There are lots of code navigators such as you describe.

See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ImenuMode.

See also `icicles-imenu':
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Search_Enhancements

Check out "tags" in the Emacs manual, also. Very powerful.