* Kill and yank (AKA cut and paste) from other X apps
@ 2003-05-25 19:55 A. L. Meyers
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2003-05-25 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

How can one kill and yank (AKA cut and paste) text in other applications
in X to and from Emacs, please?  Tried to kill an email address in
Mozilla and yank it into an Emacs mail buffer but it hasn't worked yet.

Cheers!

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15

* Re: Kill and yank (AKA cut and paste) from other X apps
@ 2003-05-26 19:50 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-26 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

A. L. Meyers <me@privacy.net> writes:

> How can one kill and yank (AKA cut and paste) text in other applications
> in X to and from Emacs, please?  Tried to kill an email address in
> Mozilla and yank it into an Emacs mail buffer but it hasn't worked yet.

I just drag it with the mouse in Mozilla, and then I can use either
mouse-2 or C-y in Emacs.  The following snippet from my .emacs may be
relevant:

(setq mouse-sel-default-bindings 'interprogram-cut-paste)
(mouse-sel-mode 1)
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Kill and yank (AKA cut and paste) from other X apps
@ 2003-05-27  7:50   ` Paolo Gianrossi
From: Paolo Gianrossi @ 2003-05-27  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> I just drag it with the mouse in Mozilla, and then I can use either
> mouse-2 or C-y in Emacs.

Also, if you use OpenWindows, GNOME, or any wm offering a clipboard,
"You can customize the option x-select-enable-clipboard to make Emacs yank
functions consult the clipboard before the primary selection, and to make
the kill functions to store in the clipboard as well as in the primary
selection." (RMS, Gnu Emacs Manual)
hope it helps
paolino
--