* gnus: how to redefine a keymap
@ 2009-10-23 20:41 Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-10-23 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hello,

I'd like to redefine the 'g' key in the group buffer so it queries
only groups with a specific level or lower.

To do that I tried this:

(defun my-gnus-group-get-new-news ()
  (interactive)
  (gnus-group-get-new-news 2))

(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (define-key gnus-group-mode-map
              [g] 'my-gnus-group-get-new-news)))

but it doesn't work.

If I map my-gnus-group-get-new-news function to 'F6' for example it
works.

Could anybody tell me why it doesn't work with 'g' key ?

Thanks

* Re: gnus: how to redefine a keymap
@ 2009-10-24  8:13 ` B. T. Raven
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9394.1256383005.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-10-24  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau wrote:
> hello,
>
> I'd like to redefine the 'g' key in the group buffer so it queries
> only groups with a specific level or lower.
>
> To do that I tried this:
>
> (defun my-gnus-group-get-new-news ()
>   (interactive)
>   (gnus-group-get-new-news 2))
>
> (add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (define-key gnus-group-mode-map
>               [g] 'my-gnus-group-get-new-news)))
>
> but it doesn't work.
>
> If I map my-gnus-group-get-new-news function to 'F6' for example it
> works.
>
> Could anybody tell me why it doesn't work with 'g' key ?
>
> Thanks

How about:

.... [(g)] .....

or .... [?g]....

or .... "g" .....

??

* Re: gnus: how to redefine a keymap
@ 2009-10-24 11:16   ` Andreas Politz
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9394.1256383005.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-10-24 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

> Francis Moreau wrote:
>> hello,
>>
>> I'd like to redefine the 'g' key in the group buffer so it queries
>> only groups with a specific level or lower.
>>
>> To do that I tried this:
>>
>> (defun my-gnus-group-get-new-news ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (gnus-group-get-new-news 2))
>>
>> (add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook
>>           (lambda ()
>>             (define-key gnus-group-mode-map
>>               [g] 'my-gnus-group-get-new-news)))
>>
>> but it doesn't work.
>>
>> If I map my-gnus-group-get-new-news function to 'F6' for example it
>> works.
>>
>> Could anybody tell me why it doesn't work with 'g' key ?

Because `g' is a symbol, not a character.  On the other hand, function
keys are mapped by symbols (like 'F6).

Anyway you should probablly stick to the `kbd' macro,  where you can
, in most cases, declare the key as you seem to expect.

(kbd "g")
(kbd "C-g")

Keys which are represented by symbols (e.g. function keys,Home,etc.)
need to be embraced.

(kbd "<f6>")
(kbd "C-<f6>")

>> Thanks
>
> How about:
>
> .... [(g)] .....
>
> or .... [?g]....
>
> or .... "g" .....
>

> ??

I vote for the 2nd option.

-ap

@ 2009-10-24 12:16     ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-10-24 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

> "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

[...]

> Because `g' is a symbol, not a character.  On the other hand, function
> keys are mapped by symbols (like 'F6).
>
> Anyway you should probablly stick to the `kbd' macro,  where you can
> , in most cases, declare the key as you seem to expect.
>
> (kbd "g")
> (kbd "C-g")
>
> Keys which are represented by symbols (e.g. function keys,Home,etc.)
> need to be embraced.
>
> (kbd "<f6>")
> (kbd "C-<f6>")

ah ok thanks for the tips

>> How about:

>> ??
>
> I vote for the 2nd option.

Just out of curiosity, why the 2nd one ? it looks to me the less
readable :)

--
Francis