* ELPA: package system for Emacs
@ 2007-04-06 18:52 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2007-04-06 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lately I've been working on package.el, a simple packaging system for
Emacs.  It is work pretty well now, well enough that I'm looking
around for packages to upload.

I started going through ELL and the history of gnu-emacs-sources
(thanks gmane!), looking for lisp to upload.  But I quickly realized,
this does not scale very well... both of these sources have outdated
code, ELL has some stale links, etc.

So, I am asking for package developers to mail me their Emacs Lisp
packages.

For a package that consists of a single self-contained file, it must:

* Strictly adhere to the Emacs Lisp comment guidelines.
  package.el is pedantic about these.  In particular I've seen many
  packages whose first or last line is not properly formatted.

* Define a Version field in the header comments that is purely "dotted
  numeric".  If you really want to use $Id$ or something here, then
  add a Package-Version field that is purely numeric.

* Properly use ";;;###autoload" comments (for best results anyhow).

For larger packages, please email me first so we can discuss the
situation... you will need to add a file.

If you want to learn more about ELPA, or want to try out package.el,
look here:

    http://tromey.com/elpa/

thanks,
Tom

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-04-06 18:52 UTC | newest]