* Gnus not using authinfo
@ 2011-03-08 19:26 Joel James Adamson
From: Joel James Adamson @ 2011-03-08 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Yesterday I downgraded from Emacs from bzr revno 103224 ("Emacs 24") to

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.21.4) of 2010-07-08 on x86-10.phx2.fedoraproject.org

i.e. the Fedora 14 version.  I connect to an imap server and use
~/.authinfo.gpg as an auth source.  With Emacs 24 Gnus would read my
~/.authinfo.gpg file and connect only by asking for my GPG passphrase,
i.e. it would not prompt me for the imap server username and password.
As of the downgrade Gnus asks me for the passphrase to unlock
~/.authinfo.gpg, and then asks me for the username for the imap server,
followed by prompting for the password.  I made no other changes.

Here's my .gnus.el:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gwene.org"))
(setq imap-default-user "adamsonj")
;; gnus customization file
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "UNC"
		(nnimap-address "imap.unc.edu")
		(nnimap-stream starttls)
		(nnimap-server-port 143))))

(setq gnus-message-archive-method (car gnus-secondary-select-methods))
(setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnimap+UNC:INBOX.Sent")
(setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)

Why is Gnus prompting for the username and password?  What changes do I
need to make to get the desired behavior back?

Additional notes: I get the same behavior loading emacs -q and then
behavior on Emacs 23.2.1 on Crunchbang (i.e. debian) GNU/Linux.

Thanks,

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Servedio Lab

FSF Member #8164
http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 229 bytes --]

* Re: Gnus not using authinfo
       [not found] <mailman.21.1299629176.21372.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-09 15:17 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-09 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 14:26:58 -0500 Joel James Adamson <adamsonj@email.unc.edu> wrote:

JJA> Yesterday I downgraded from Emacs from bzr revno 103224 ("Emacs 24") to

JJA> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.21.4) of 2010-07-08 on x86-10.phx2.fedoraproject.org

JJA> Why is Gnus prompting for the [nnimap] username and password?  What
JJA> changes do I need to make to get the desired behavior back?

Set `auth-source-debug' to t and show the resulting lines from
*Messages*.  Also show the lines from the authinfo file that you think
should work.  IIRC the port needs to be 143 or 993 in some cases but I'm
not sure; the log will tell us that.

(Passwords should be automatically hidden in *Messages*, but please
check before sending.)

In general I'd say please use the latest Gnus even if you can't use the
latest Emacs.  That has the latest auth-source.el as well.  It's quite
easy to just upgrade Gnus and there's been a LOT of improvements in Gnus
since 23.2.

Ted

* Re: Gnus not using authinfo
@ 2011-03-09 17:58   ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1.1299696694.13037.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2011-03-09 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> In general I'd say please use the latest Gnus even if you can't use the
> latest Emacs.  That has the latest auth-source.el as well.  It's quite
> easy to just upgrade Gnus and there's been a LOT of improvements in Gnus
> since 23.2.

I can tell: my main reason for using Emacs from Bazaar was that Gnus'
IMAP handling had improved so much.  I will respond to the rest of your
message later, but if this continues, I will use a local version of
Gnus.

Joel

--

@ 2011-03-09 18:51     ` Joel James Adamson
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1.1299696694.13037.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel James Adamson @ 2011-03-09 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> In general I'd say please use the latest Gnus even if you can't use the
>> latest Emacs.  That has the latest auth-source.el as well.  It's quite
>> easy to just upgrade Gnus and there's been a LOT of improvements in Gnus
>> since 23.2.
>
> I can tell: my main reason for using Emacs from Bazaar was that Gnus'
> IMAP handling had improved so much.  I will respond to the rest of your
> message later,

Here are the *Messages* with auth-source-debug set to t:

imap: Connecting with STARTTLS...done
Waiting for response from imap.unc.edu...done
Parsing authinfo file `~/.authinfo'.
auth-source-user-or-password: get (login password) for UNC (143)
/home/joel/.authinfo: 0% (0/114)
/home/joel/.authinfo: 100% (114/114)
auth-source-user-or-password: found (login password)=SECRET for UNC (143)
imap: Authenticating to `imap.unc.edu' using `login'...
imap: Plaintext authentication...
imap: Login successful...
imap: Authenticating to `imap.unc.edu' using `login'...done

And here's the authinfo file:

machine imap.unc.edu login adamsonj password SECRET port imap
machine smtp.unc.edu login adamsonj password SECRET port 587

Joel
--

@ 2011-03-09 19:28       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-09 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 13:51:23 -0500 Joel James Adamson <adamsonj@email.unc.edu> wrote:

JJA> adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>>
>>> In general I'd say please use the latest Gnus even if you can't use the
>>> latest Emacs.  That has the latest auth-source.el as well.  It's quite
>>> easy to just upgrade Gnus and there's been a LOT of improvements in Gnus
>>> since 23.2.
>>
>> I can tell: my main reason for using Emacs from Bazaar was that Gnus'
>> IMAP handling had improved so much.  I will respond to the rest of your
>> message later,

JJA> Here are the *Messages* with auth-source-debug set to t:

JJA> imap: Connecting with STARTTLS...done
JJA> Waiting for response from imap.unc.edu...done
JJA> Parsing authinfo file `~/.authinfo'.
JJA> auth-source-user-or-password: get (login password) for UNC (143)
JJA> /home/joel/.authinfo: 0% (0/114)
JJA> /home/joel/.authinfo: 100% (114/114)
JJA> auth-source-user-or-password: found (login password)=SECRET for UNC (143)
JJA> imap: Authenticating to `imap.unc.edu' using `login'...
JJA> imap: Plaintext authentication...
JJA> imap: Login successful...
JJA> imap: Authenticating to `imap.unc.edu' using `login'...done

JJA> And here's the authinfo file:

JJA> machine imap.unc.edu login adamsonj password SECRET port imap
JJA> machine smtp.unc.edu login adamsonj password SECRET port 587

You need to make the port "143" instead of "imap" (no quotes).  It may
also work to omit the port, I don't remember.

Yes, that's not nice.  `auth-source-search' in the newer auth-source.el
is more capable.

Ted

* Re: Gnus not using authinfo
@ 2011-03-09 19:46         ` Joel James Adamson