* Redhat 8 and init.el
@ 2003-01-21 15:38 ` Mel
From: Mel @ 2003-01-21 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to utilize the advice in this post:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=pan.2002.09.14.20.48.16.446325.24107%40polybus.com&rnum=3

In order to strip unwanted characters from text files.  It states the
following: "Use Xemacs. In your .xemacs/init.el file add the
following...."

However, I do not have the init.el file in Redhat 8.  I have several
*init.el files, but not sure which is comparable to the one listed in
that post.

I'm not even sure if Xemacs is the same as the emacs I have on rh8.

Any advice is appreciated.

Yes, I am a newb....

* Re: Redhat 8 and init.el
@ 2003-01-21 18:41   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-01-21 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

fatkiddown@hotmail.com (Mel) writes:

> I'm trying to utilize the advice in this post:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=pan.2002.09.14.20.48.16.446325.24107%40polybus.com&rnum=3
>
> In order to strip unwanted characters from text files.  It states the
> following: "Use Xemacs. In your .xemacs/init.el file add the
> following...."

IMHO that solution is needlesly complicated -- it isn't necessary at
all.

Just open the file with DOS line endings (CR/LF) -- Emacs will recognize
that and display "(DOS)" in the mode-line.  Now, if you want to save it
with Unix line endings do `C-x RET f iso-latin-1-unix'.

[NB: Please don't post identical questions to comp.emacs and
gnu.emacs.help separately.  Cross post instead.]