* API for shell-mode?
@ 2004-04-22 17:47 J Krugman
From: J Krugman @ 2004-04-22 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Where can I find the API/documentation for the Emacs shell mode
(i.e. the mode of the buffer one gets when one types 'M-x shell').

My immediate question are the specs on the possible values for the
$EMACS environment variable.  Is there any other possible value
other than 't'?

(This is only the latest of several questions I've had over the
years about the shell-mode, but I can never find adequate documentation
for it, other than a list of key bindings.)

Thanks,

jill

--
To  s&e^n]d  me  m~a}i]l  r%e*m?o\v[e  bit from my a|d)d:r{e:s]s.

* Re: API for shell-mode?
@ 2004-04-23  0:22 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-04-23  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

J Krugman <jkrugman@yahbitoo.com> writes:

> My immediate question are the specs on the possible values for the
> $EMACS environment variable.  Is there any other possible value
> other than 't'?

`comint-exec-1' sets it to `t' unless this environment variable is
already defined -- so it could have _any_ value that the user has
chosen to set it to.

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>

* Re: API for shell-mode?
@ 2004-04-23 15:14   ` J Krugman
From: J Krugman @ 2004-04-23 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <m3n053zgpj.fsf@defun.localdomain> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

>J Krugman <jkrugman@yahbitoo.com> writes:

>> My immediate question are the specs on the possible values for the
>> $EMACS environment variable.  Is there any other possible value
>> other than 't'?

>`comint-exec-1' sets it to `t' unless this environment variable is
>already defined -- so it could have _any_ value that the user has
>chosen to set it to.

Thanks.

How did you know to look up comint-exec-1?

jill
--

@ 2004-04-23 15:36     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-04-23 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

J Krugman <jkrugman@yahbitoo.com> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>>`comint-exec-1' sets it to `t' unless this environment variable is
>>already defined -- so it could have _any_ value that the user has
>>chosen to set it to.
>
> How did you know to look up comint-exec-1?

I grepped for the string "EMACS", which doesn't occur that many times
in the sources.

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>