* left justify in HTML Helper mode
@ 2002-09-09 14:02 Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2002-09-09 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In editing html docs, I frequently encounter text that is either
centered or has a variable number of spaces at the beginning of each
line.

I want to left justify the whole or a marked area. The way I do it now
requres at least several steps.

--
      Haines Brown
	brownh@hartford-hwp.com

* Re: left justify in HTML Helper mode
@ 2002-09-09 15:33 ` Tim Haynes
       [not found] ` <mailman.1031591888.17975.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim Haynes @ 2002-09-09 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> writes:

> In editing html docs, I frequently encounter text that is either centered
> or has a variable number of spaces at the beginning of each line.
>
> I want to left justify the whole or a marked area. The way I do it now
> requres at least several steps.

Is this specific to HTML(helper) mode?

How does `C-u - 8 0 C-x TAB' strike you, after choosing a region (or `C-x
h' for the whole buffer)? Choose a smaller number at will, but that'll
guaranteably left-align everything. :)

~Tim
--
We're just souls across a                   |piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk
           shrinking world                  |http://spodzone.org.uk/

* Re: left justify in HTML Helper mode
@ 2002-09-09 17:17 ` Chuck Siska
       [not found] ` <mailman.1031591888.17975.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chuck Siska @ 2002-09-09 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

haines --

try C-u - 9 9 9 C-x <tab> on the region.

-- chuck

--
                                           |\_/\_.-'""``:-._
What is life without looking for           . . `; -._      )-;-,_`)

@ 2002-09-10 17:37   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2002-09-10 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chuck Siska <chuck.siska@skyworksinc.com> writes:

> haines --
>
> try C-u - 9 9 9 C-x <tab> on the region.
>
> -- chuck
>
> Haines Brown wrote:
> >
> > In editing html docs, I frequently encounter text that is either
> > centered or has a variable number of spaces at the beginning of each
> > line.
> >
> > I want to left justify the whole or a marked area. The way I do it now
> > requres at least several steps.

Thanks, but not having much luck with this.

The suggestion to try C-u 80 C-x <TAB> merely moved the selected block
of text 80 spaces to the right and did nothing for justification.

Your suggesttion to try C-u 999 C-x <TAB> just moved the block even
more, again, without justfication.

Makes no difference if I'm in HTML or in Text mode.

--

@ 2002-09-10 18:01     ` lawrence mitchell
From: lawrence mitchell @ 2002-09-10 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Haines Brown wrote:

[...]

> The suggestion to try C-u 80 C-x <TAB> merely moved the selected block
> of text 80 spaces to the right and did nothing for justification.

> Your suggesttion to try C-u 999 C-x <TAB> just moved the block even
> more, again, without justfication.

You missed the minus sign, you need to type C-u <minus> 999 C-x
<TAB>, rather than what you did.  More information may be gleaned
from finding out what C-x <TAB> actually calls:

/----[ C-h k C-x TAB ]
| C-x TAB runs the command indent-rigidly
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `indent'.
| (indent-rigidly START END ARG)
|
| Indent all lines starting in the region sideways by ARG
| columns.  Called from a program, takes three arguments, START,
| END and ARG.  You can remove all indentation from a region by
| giving a large negative ARG.
\----
                 ^^^^^^^^
--