* gdb and emacs
@ 2003-01-11 10:48 Shankar K E
From: Shankar K E @ 2003-01-11 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I want to display line numbers when I am debugging using gdb under emacs
(using gud).

The source file is displayed in the other window, I need line numbers to
be displayed along with the source file. I want this to happen only when
I use gdb under emacs.

How do I start gud after the environment settings have been changed,
gud seems to be using the settings when emacs started off from the
shell.

I restart emacs whenever there is a change in the environment, could
you suggest me an alternative option.

Also Is there any environment variable which is set if I am within a
emacs session. I would like to do some additional processing in my
.bashrc when emacs is launched.

Please let me know on how to go about it.

Thanks in Advance
--

Shankar

* Re: gdb and emacs
@ 2003-01-20  7:50 ` Lee Sau Dan
From: Lee Sau Dan @ 2003-01-20  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Shankar> Hi, I want to display line numbers when I am debugging
    Shankar> using gdb under emacs (using gud).

Are  you sure?  I  never need  the line  numbers, because  Emacs (gud)
takes care of  them and shows me the  current line automatically.  For
setting breakpoint, go to the source file and then C-x SPC.

    Shankar> How do I start gud after the environment settings have
    Shankar> been changed, gud seems to be using the settings when
    Shankar> emacs started off from the shell.

B'cos  environments  are  inherited  by  child  processes  from  their
parents.  When you start the  gdb process from gud/Emacs, it of course
inherits the environment of Emacs.

    Shankar> I restart emacs whenever there is a change in the
    Shankar> environment, could you suggest me an alternative option.

(setenv "FOO" "BAR")
(getenv "FOO")

I  often do  these  in the  *scratch* buffer  (lisp-interaction-mode).
Just type one of the above and then C-j.

    Shankar> Also Is there any environment variable which is set if I
    Shankar> am within a emacs session.

It depends on the terminal-emulation package that you're using.  Emacs
has so many.  RTFM.

A  quick check  is to  run the  'env' shell  command and  redirect the
output to a file.  Do this both in a vanilla shell and a shell running
under Emacs.  Then, use 'diff' to check what are different.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de