* starting Emacs 21 in a terminal
@ 2003-02-03  8:26 Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-02-03  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using NTEmacs 21.1 and cygwin-bash plus cygwin rxvt (a xterm-emulation).

If i call on the command-line "emacs -nw" to start Emacs with no-windows then
i always get the error: "emacs: standard input is not a tty" and Emacs doesn't
start.

What can be the problem...XEmacs starts fine with "xemacs -nw"...

Many Thanks,
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: starting Emacs 21 in a terminal
@ 2003-02-03 18:59 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1351.1044298990.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-02-03 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 03 Feb 2003 09:26:40 +0100
>
> I'm using NTEmacs 21.1 and cygwin-bash plus cygwin rxvt (a xterm-emulation).
>
> If i call on the command-line "emacs -nw" to start Emacs with no-windows then
> i always get the error: "emacs: standard input is not a tty" and Emacs doesn't
> start.
>
> What can be the problem...

I suspect that the problem is some kind of incompatibility between
the Cygwin-compiled Bash/rxvt and NTEmacs: the way rxvt works is by
opening a pipe to the program(s) it runs, and it sounds like the pipe
it opens doesn't look as a tty to NTEmacs.

> XEmacs starts fine with "xemacs -nw"...

Is that a Cygwin-compiled XEmacs, per chance?

Anyway, this sort of thing should be reported to gnu.emacs.bug, not
here.

@ 2003-02-04  8:07   ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-02-04  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > From: Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de>
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: 03 Feb 2003 09:26:40 +0100
> >
> > I'm using NTEmacs 21.1 and cygwin-bash plus cygwin rxvt (a
> > xterm-emulation).
> >
> > If i call on the command-line "emacs -nw" to start Emacs with no-windows
> > then i always get the error: "emacs: standard input is not a tty" and
> > Emacs doesn't start.
> >
> > What can be the problem...
>
>  I suspect that the problem is some kind of incompatibility between
>  the Cygwin-compiled Bash/rxvt and NTEmacs: the way rxvt works is by
>  opening a pipe to the program(s) it runs, and it sounds like the pipe
>  it opens doesn't look as a tty to NTEmacs.
>
> > XEmacs starts fine with "xemacs -nw"...
>
>  Is that a Cygwin-compiled XEmacs, per chance?

Yes, indeed.

>  Anyway, this sort of thing should be reported to gnu.emacs.bug, not
>  here.

Yes, you are right, but i was not sure if this is a bug and our explanation
tells me that this behavior can be a bug but can also be not a bug cause of
trying to run NTEmacs in a cygwin compiled terminal-program.

But next time i will report to gnu.emacs.bug....

Thanks,
Klaus

--

@ 2003-02-04  8:19     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-02-04  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4 Feb 2003, Klaus Berndl wrote:

> >  Anyway, this sort of thing should be reported to gnu.emacs.bug, not
> >  here.
>
> Yes, you are right, but i was not sure if this is a bug and our explanation
> tells me that this behavior can be a bug but can also be not a bug cause of
> trying to run NTEmacs in a cygwin compiled terminal-program.

If NTEmacs can possibly be made compatible with the Cygwin terminal
handling, IMHO it should.  So this is still worth reporting to
bug-gnu-emacs (and maybe CC the Cygwin mailing list as well).

@ 2003-02-04 16:46 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-02-04 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Klaus,

Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> writes:

> I'm using NTEmacs 21.1 and cygwin-bash plus cygwin rxvt (a
> xterm-emulation).
>
> If i call on the command-line "emacs -nw" to start Emacs with
> no-windows then i always get the error: "emacs: standard input is
> not a tty" and Emacs doesn't start.

IIRC, there is a Cygwin environment option CYGWIN=tty, that might
help.

> What can be the problem...XEmacs starts fine with "xemacs -nw"...

The basic problem is that there is no documented way in Windows to
create a pseudo-tty like in Unix.  So if you are not using the regular
NT console, Cygwin and rxvt have to play tricks, and even than it
doesn't always work.

Hope this helps, benny

* Re: starting Emacs 21 in a terminal
@ 2003-02-04 17:02   ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-02-04 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04 Feb 2003, Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:

>  Hi Klaus,
>

>  Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> writes:
>
> > I'm using NTEmacs 21.1 and cygwin-bash plus cygwin rxvt (a
> > xterm-emulation).
> >
> > If i call on the command-line "emacs -nw" to start Emacs with
> > no-windows then i always get the error: "emacs: standard input is
> > not a tty" and Emacs doesn't start.
>
>  IIRC, there is a Cygwin environment option CYGWIN=tty, that might
>  help.

No, i have this setting - it doesn't matter...

> > What can be the problem...XEmacs starts fine with "xemacs -nw"...
>
>  The basic problem is that there is no documented way in Windows to
>  create a pseudo-tty like in Unix.  So if you are not using the regular
>  NT console, Cygwin and rxvt have to play tricks, and even than it
>  doesn't always work.

It doesn't work regardless if using the regular NT console or Cygwin rxvt...
I think Eli had the best explanation of the problem...i should write a bug
report...

Thanks,
Klaus

--

@ 2003-02-04 19:59     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1401.1044391762.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-02-04 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 04 Feb 2003 18:02:38 +0100
>
> It doesn't work regardless if using the regular NT console or Cygwin rxvt...

You mean, it doesn't work from Bash, right?  Because if you type
"emacs -nw" from the standard Windows shell (command.com or cmd.exe,
depending on the version of Windows you have), it does work.  At least
it did last time I tried.

* Re: starting Emacs 21 in a terminal
@ 2003-02-04 20:41       ` Mei Wu
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1401.1044391762.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mei Wu @ 2003-02-04 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I found the pointer in emacs never stays at the original place when page-down
is presse and followed by a page-up, for example, if you point to a place and
do a page-down and followed by a page-up, the pointer is not at the original
place before page-down is pressed but is at the top or bottom of the page, I
used to use Mic's pager.el, but it doesn't work anymore  when .emacs has too
many set ups ( I'm using JDEE ), and not sure what breaks it. Could anyone
tell me any way to fix the pointer ?

Thanks
Mei

@ 2003-02-05 10:22         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-05 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mei Wu <mwu7787@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> I found the pointer in emacs never stays at the original place when
> page-down is presse and followed by a page-up, for example, if you
> point to a place and do a page-down and followed by a page-up, the
> pointer is not at the original place before page-down is pressed but
> is at the top or bottom of the page

There is a variable scroll-preserve-screen-position.  And there is a
package scroll-in-place by Eric Eide.
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: starting Emacs 21 in a terminal
@ 2003-02-05 14:22     ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-02-05 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Klaus,

Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> writes:
> It doesn't work regardless if using the regular NT console or Cygwin
> rxvt...

GNU Emacs 21.2.1 works fine here in an NT console (W2K to be accurate)
started from the Cygwin shortcut.

so long, benny