* show-all-if-ambiguous in emacs?
@ 2003-05-09  4:41 Jiri Pejchal
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2003-05-09  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I like to set the following variable in my ~/.bashrc to `on':

 `show-all-if-ambiguous'

This alters the default behavior of the completion functions. If set to
`on', words which have more than one possible completion cause the
matches to be listed immediately instead of ringing the bell. The
default value is `off'.

Can I get similar behavior with mini-buffer completion?

I have files index1.html, index2.html and index3.html.
I want to open index2.html, so I have to:

C-x C-f in TAB (--> index) TAB (now I see possible completions) 2 TAB
(-->index2.html) RET

What I would like instead:

C-x C-f in TAB (--> index &  I see possible completions) 2 TAB
(-->index2.html) RET

Is it possible?
Thanks.

Jiri Pejchal

* Re: show-all-if-ambiguous in emacs?
@ 2003-05-10  0:24 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-05-10  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jiri Pejchal <xpejchal@fi.muni.cz> writes:

> I like to set the following variable in my ~/.bashrc to `on':
>
>  `show-all-if-ambiguous'
>
> This alters the default behavior of the completion functions. If set to
> `on', words which have more than one possible completion cause the
> matches to be listed immediately instead of ringing the bell. The
> default value is `off'.
>
> Can I get similar behavior with mini-buffer completion?

Try `M-x ido-mode'.  It doesn't do exactly what you describe, but it's
somewhat similar.