* devnagari characters in emacs
@ 2004-01-31 15:18 Gauri S Deshmukh
From: Gauri S Deshmukh @ 2004-01-31 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello all

i am not a subscriber to this group. i hope this mail gets posted. i
also request you to mark a copy of the reply to my address.

i use debian linux 3.0 and have emacs 20.

i had been trying to use emacs to type some text in devnagari. in my x
windows, the devnagari text shows as hollow boxes.

i did set language environment - indian - devanagari

select input method devanagari-itrans

set coding system - buffer file - devnagari

what do i need to do to set things right and make devanagari text show?

thanks in advance

gauri

* Re: devnagari characters in emacs
       [not found] <mailman.1683.1075617857.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-02-01 22:00 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-02-01 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gauri S Deshmukh <gauri.deshmukh@hotpop.com> writes:

> i use debian linux 3.0 and have emacs 20.
>
> i had been trying to use emacs to type some text in devnagari. in my x
> windows, the devnagari text shows as hollow boxes.
>
> what do i need to do to set things right and make devanagari text
> show?

You probably need a font that contains Devanagari.  From the Emacs
INSTALL file:

,----

`----