* Chinese font in an English environment
@ 2007-01-20 10:45 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-01-20 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

In an "English" environment, some Chinese characters are displayed
using Japanese fonts since there are character overlapping for both
languages. For example, 输入法 are displayed by two fonts as listed
below. This makes the style of Chinese text looks inconsistent. I am
wondering is there such setting that will make Emacs choose one font
over another.

,----
`----

,----
|   character: 入 (58238, #o161576, #xe37e, U+5165)
|     charset: japanese-jisx0208 (JISX0208.1983/1990 Japanese Kanji: ISO-IR-87.)
|  code point: #x46 #x7E
|      syntax: w 	which means: word
|    category: C:Chinese (Han) characters of 2-byte character sets j:Japanese |:While filling, we can break a line at this character.
| buffer code: #x92 #xC6 #xFE
|   file code: #x92 #xC6 #xFE (encoded by coding system emacs-mule)
|     display: by this font (glyph code)
|      -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--16-150-75-75-C-160-JISX0208.1990-0 (#x467E)
`----

* Re: Chinese font in an English environment
       [not found] <mailman.3339.1169289957.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-01-22  9:16 ` Brep
From: Brep @ 2007-01-22  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> In an "English" environment, some Chinese characters are displayed
> using Japanese fonts since there are character overlapping for both
> languages. For example, 输入法 are displayed by two fonts as listed
> below. This makes the style of Chinese text looks inconsistent. I am
> wondering is there such setting that will make Emacs choose one font
> over another.

Try (set-language-environment "Chinese-GB"), and tune your fonts setting
carefully.

* Re: Chinese font in an English environment
@ 2007-01-22 10:44   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-01-22 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2007-01-22, Brep said:

> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In an "English" environment, some Chinese characters are displayed
>> using Japanese fonts since there are character overlapping for both
>> languages. For example, 输入法 are displayed by two fonts as listed
>> below. This makes the style of Chinese text looks inconsistent. I
>> am wondering is there such setting that will make Emacs choose one
>> font over another.
>
> Try (set-language-environment "Chinese-GB"), and tune your fonts
> setting carefully.

This would be too big a change for me. Is there other solution?

* Re: Chinese font in an English environment
@ 2007-01-22 11:04 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-01-22 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs list

Am 20.01.2007 um 11:45 schrieb Leo:

> In an "English" environment, some Chinese characters are displayed
> using Japanese fonts since there are character overlapping for both
> languages. For example, 输入法 are displayed by two fonts as listed
> below. This makes the style of Chinese text looks inconsistent. I am
> wondering is there such setting that will make Emacs choose one font
> over another.

Have you thought of creating a fontset? Including statements like

	(set-fontset-font "fontset-11pt_adobe_courier" (cons (decode-char
'ucs #x0d00) (decode-char 'ucs #x0d7f)) '("code2000" .
"iso10646-1"))	; Malayalam
	(set-fontset-font "fontset-11pt_adobe_courier" (cons (decode-char
'ucs #x0d80) (decode-char 'ucs #x0dff)) '("akshar unicode" .
"iso10646-1"))	; Sinhala

you can advise GNU Emacs to use a particular font for a particular
range of Unicode characters.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's something the technicians need to learn from the artists. If
it isn't aesthetically pleasing, it's probably wrong.

* Re: Chinese font in an English environment
@ 2007-01-22 11:22   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-01-22 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2007-01-22, Peter Dyballa said:

> Am 20.01.2007 um 11:45 schrieb Leo:
>
>> In an "English" environment, some Chinese characters are displayed
>> using Japanese fonts since there are character overlapping for both
>> languages. For example, 输入法 are displayed by two fonts as listed
>> below. This makes the style of Chinese text looks inconsistent. I am
>> wondering is there such setting that will make Emacs choose one font
>> over another.
>
> Have you thought of creating a fontset? Including statements like
>
> 	(set-fontset-font "fontset-11pt_adobe_courier" (cons
> (decode-char 'ucs #x0d00) (decode-char 'ucs #x0d7f)) '("code2000" .
> "iso10646-1"))	; Malayalam
> 	(set-fontset-font "fontset-11pt_adobe_courier" (cons
> (decode-char 'ucs #x0d80) (decode-char 'ucs #x0dff)) '("akshar
> unicode" .  "iso10646-1"))	; Sinhala
>
> you can advise GNU Emacs to use a particular font for a particular
> range of Unicode characters.

This seems to the right solution. However, I have no clue what unicode
range for Chinese characters. BTW, how can I turn those
(set-fontset-font ...) into .Xresources settings?

* Re: Chinese font in an English environment
@ 2007-01-22 12:35     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-01-22 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.01.2007 um 12:22 schrieb Leo:

> This seems to the right solution. However, I have no clue what unicode
> range for Chinese characters.

U+2E80: CJK Radicals Supplement
U+2F00: Kangxi Radicals
U+2FF0: Ideographic Description Characters
U+3000: CJK Symbols And Marks
U+3040: Hiragana
U+30A0: Katakana
U+3100: Bopomofo
U+3130: Hangul Compatability Jamo
U+3190: Kanbun
U+31A0: Bopomofo Extended
U+31C0: CJK Strokes
U+31F0: Katakana Phonetic Extensions
U+3200: Enclosed CJK Letters And Months
U+3300: CJK Compatabilty
U+3400: CJK Ideograph Extension A
U+4DC0: Yijing Hexagram Symbols
U+4E00: CJK Unified Ideographs
U+A000: Yi Syllables
U+A490: Yi Radicals
U+A700: Modifier Tone Letters
U+A720: Latin Extended-D
U+A800: Syloti Nagri
U+A840: Phags-Pa
U+AC00: Hangul Syllables
U+D000: High Surrogates
U+DB80: Private Use High Surrogates
U+DC00: Low Surrogates
U+E000: Private Use Area (PUA)
U+F900: CJK Compatibility Ideographs
U+FB00: Alphabetic Presentation Forms
U+FE00: Variation Selectors
U+FE10: Vertical Forms
U+FE20: Combining Half Marks
U+FE30: CJK Compatibility Forms
U+FE50: Small Form Variants
U+FE70: Arabic Presentation Forms-B
U+FF00: Halfwidth And Fullwidth Forms
U+FFF0: Specials (end at FFFF)

> BTW, how can I turn those (set-fontset-font ...) into .Xresources
> settings?

Emacs.font: fontset-14points

--
Greetings