* global-set-key with parameter
@ 2008-10-08 18:32 Fred Picher
From: Fred Picher @ 2008-10-08 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

  I would like to bind the following function and parameter to the F5
key in emacs 23, which is currently undefined.  This is to save the
buffer layout to be recalled using the lowercase 'w' key:

C-x r w w

  That would be the window-configuration-to-register command I
think.  I could do something like:

(global-set-key [f5]    'window-configuration-to-register)

  But how is the 'w' parameter passed to this command ?

Thanks.

http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.

* Re: global-set-key with parameter
       [not found] <mailman.652.1223525988.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-09  6:40 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-10-09  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.652.1223525988.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Fred Picher <frederificc@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>   I would like to bind the following function and parameter to the F5
> key in emacs 23, which is currently undefined.  This is to save the
> buffer layout to be recalled using the lowercase 'w' key:
>
> C-x r w w
>
>   That would be the window-configuration-to-register command I
> think.  I could do something like:
>
> (global-set-key [f5]    'window-configuration-to-register)
>
>   But how is the 'w' parameter passed to this command ?

You need to write a new Elisp function that calls
window-configuration-to-register with the parameter, and bind the key to
THAT function.

(defun window-config-to-register-w ()
  "Store the window configuration in register 'w'."
  (interactive)
  (window-configuration-to-register ?w))

(global-set-key [f5] 'window-configuration-to-register-w)

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: global-set-key with parameter
@ 2008-10-09 13:49   ` Fred Picher
From: Fred Picher @ 2008-10-09 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> You need to write a new Elisp function that calls
> window-configuration-to-register with the parameter, and bind
> the key to THAT function.

> (defun window-config-to-register-w ()
>  "Store the window configuration in register 'w'."
>  (interactive)
>  (window-configuration-to-register ?w))

> (global-set-key [f5] 'window-configuration-to-register-w)

  Thanks for the help.  That sounds quite straightforward
although I do not know any lisp.  For this reason I'm a bit lost
when I get the following error message after pressing F5:

Symbol's function definition is void: window-configuration-to-register-w

       [not found] <mailman.685.1223560176.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-09 14:11 ` harven
From: harven @ 2008-10-09 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Fred Picher <frederificc@yahoo.ca> writes:

> [...]

This is a typo. The command to be bound to f5 is called
window-config-to-register-w. So, use

(global-set-key [f5] 'window-config-to-register-w)