* Changing Meta key M-x from Escape key
@ 2008-11-05  7:26 Vidyuth Kini
From: Vidyuth Kini @ 2008-11-05  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

hi,

I have been using Emacs for some time now but get very irritated with having
to use esc-x for M-x as my terminal has no Meta key.

I am using a MacBook Pro, and running Emacs under Terminal. in BASH.

How can i configure emacs to recognize alt-x, or fn-x (or any other
combination) for M-x as using escape causes me problems.

I have tried looking in several places but have not found a suitable answer
to do this simply.

Regards,

Vid

* Re: Changing Meta key M-x from Escape key
@ 2008-11-05 15:23 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-05 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vidyuth Kini; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.11.2008 um 12:58 schrieb Vidyuth Kini:

> How can i configure emacs to recognize alt-x, or fn-x (or any other
> combination) for M-x as using escape causes me problems.

You could use another Emacs with its own windows (Carbon Emacs or the
Cocoa Emacs.app), you could use another terminal emulation, you could
set up Terminal to use alt as meta, you could use some other OS ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for
lists of "Ten Best."
				– H. Allen Smith

* Re: Changing Meta key M-x from Escape key
       [not found] <mailman.2930.1225894942.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-11-05 16:50 ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-11-05 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 4, 11:26 pm, Vidyuth Kini <vuk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have been using Emacs for some time now but get very irritated with having
> to use esc-x for M-x as my terminal has no Meta key.
>
> I am using a MacBook Pro, and running Emacs under Terminal. in BASH.
>
> How can i configure emacs to recognize alt-x, or fn-x (or any other
> combination) for M-x as using escape causes me problems.

In Terminal, pull the menu “Terminal‣Window Settings...”, then
“Keyboard”, then check the checkbox “Use opiton as meta key”, then
click “Use setting as default”.

As far as i know, it is impossible to set Cmd as meta. (not sure about
OS X 10.5 though. Am still using 10.4)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: Changing Meta key M-x from Escape key
@ 2008-11-05 17:48 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-11-05 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vidyuth Kini; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Vidyuth Kini <vukini@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using a MacBook Pro, and running Emacs under Terminal. in BASH.

(At least) in OSX 10.5, Terminal has an option named "Use option as meta
key".  Naturally, you're gonna lose access to some international characters.

If you use Emacs in a native window, you can use Command or fn for Meta
by customizing the mac-*-modifier variables.

I prefer to use Command.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher