* change radix of displayed quoted chars
@ 2004-11-26 14:05 Sebastien Kirche
       [not found] ` <mailman.1628.1101479416.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastien Kirche @ 2004-11-26 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

about quoted  chars, i  know how to  choose a  decimal radix for  input with
read-quoted-char-radix.

I would like to change the displayed value that is still octal.

Any mean to do so ?

Sébastien Kirche

* Re: change radix of displayed quoted chars
@ 2004-11-26 14:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1628.1101479416.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-11-26 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Sebastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche.no@spam.free.fr.invalid>
> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:05:43 +0100
>
> I would like to change the displayed value that is still octal.

Can you tell how you got those characters displayed?  Are they part of
buffer text, or are they displayed in the echo area?  If the latter,
what command displayed those octal codes?

@ 2004-11-26 14:48   ` Sebastien Kirche
From: Sebastien Kirche @ 2004-11-26 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 26 Nov 2004, Eli Zaretskii s'est exprimé ainsi :

> > I would like to change the displayed value that is still octal.
>
> Can you tell how you got those characters displayed?  Are they part of
> buffer text, or are they displayed in the echo area?  If the latter,
> what command displayed those octal codes?

These octal values are displayed in the buffer text.

Typically, they  are french accentuated characters pasted  in the iso-8859-1
encoded  buffer that are  mac-roman encoded  when copying  then from  an OSX
application.

I used  to find  the correct  encoding before to  perform a  C-x RET  c then
paste. But  i cannot remember  that value. (mac-roman  seems not to  fix the
problem).

Anyway, for  quick fix as i know  that e.g. 142(mac-roman) ->  é (latin-1) i
would have to M-% C-q 1 4 2 RET é RET !
But for convenience i set read-quoted-char-radix to 10 but as octal is still
displayed i have to convert the value for the C-q insert.

So i wonder if i can modify the display to fit the entry.

@ 2004-12-01  9:44     ` Sebastien Kirche
From: Sebastien Kirche @ 2004-12-01  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 26 Nov 2004, Sebastien Kirche vraute :

> So i wonder if i can modify the display to fit the entry.

So, no trick ?

Sébastien Kirche