* Revert Emacs to version supporting cedet backticks?
@ 2010-12-21  1:55 Bill O'Connor
From: Bill O'Connor @ 2010-12-21  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I see that the Emacs trunk won't allow the old backticks to compile
anymore, does anyone know what tag I could revert to so I can use cedet?
I promise I won't write any elisp with backticks from now on.  :)

* Re: Revert Emacs to version supporting cedet backticks?
       [not found] <mailman.19.1292896532.3394.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-21  5:20 ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2010-12-21  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Dec 20 2010, Bill O'Connor wrote:

> I see that the Emacs trunk won't allow the old backticks to compile
> anymore, does anyone know what tag I could revert to so I can use
> cedet?  I promise I won't write any elisp with backticks from now on.
> :)

bzr Emacs actually includes a fairly new version of CEDET.  Does the
upstream version of CEDET use backticks?

Jason

* Re: Revert Emacs to version supporting cedet backticks?
@ 2010-12-21  8:14 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2010-12-21  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bill O'Connor writes:
> I see that the Emacs trunk won't allow the old backticks to compile
> anymore, does anyone know what tag I could revert to so I can use cedet?
> I promise I won't write any elisp with backticks from now on.  :)

Anything before

revno: 102591
committer: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
branch nick: trunk
timestamp: Mon 2010-12-06 11:37:26 -0500
message:
  * src/lread.c (read1): Allow newstyle unquote outside of backquote.
  [...]

should still work. Or just use Emacs23 for compilation; I think Emacs
can always deal with bytecode from the previous version.

-David

* Re: Revert Emacs to version supporting cedet backticks?
@ 2010-12-21 16:31   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-21 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Earl <jearl@notengoamigos.org> writes:

Hi Jason,

>> I see that the Emacs trunk won't allow the old backticks to compile
>> anymore, does anyone know what tag I could revert to so I can use
>> cedet?  I promise I won't write any elisp with backticks from now on.
>> :)
>
> bzr Emacs actually includes a fairly new version of CEDET.  Does the
> upstream version of CEDET use backticks?

I don't think backticks are a problem, but only the old-style stuff
deprecated for more than a decade had a bug in the current emacs bzr
HEAD.

  `(foo ,tab-width) ;; new style. ok!
    ==> (foo 2)

  (` (foo (, tab-width))) ;; old style. had a bug, but works for me...
    ==> (foo 2)

I use a very recent Emacs version, so it seems that the bug is already
fixed.

But it's still a very good idea to replace the old-style
backquotes/backticks.

Bye,
Tassilo