* Using emacs in terminal of Mac OS Leopard
@ 2008-03-31  2:40 USFstudent
From: USFstudent @ 2008-03-31  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I had a question about using Emacs in terminal. Is it not possible to do add
ons if you do not have the GUI version? I ask because in everything I have
read, it says you need to edit a ~/.emacs file which I do not seem to have.
Anyone know how I can add add ons?

Thanks a lot in advance

* Re: Using emacs in terminal of Mac OS Leopard
@ 2008-03-31  4:14 ` William Xu
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9683.1206937481.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: William Xu @ 2008-03-31  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

USFstudent <babolatpdtp@gmail.com> writes:

> it says you need to edit a ~/.emacs file which I do not seem to have.

Then touch it !

,----
`----

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

* Re: Using emacs in terminal of Mac OS Leopard
@ 2008-03-31  4:24   ` USFstudent
       [not found]   ` <mailman.9683.1206937481.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: USFstudent @ 2008-03-31  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

doing that command didn't do anything. it just gave me a new empty command
line

@ 2008-03-31  4:43     ` Jens Teich
From: Jens Teich @ 2008-03-31  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

USFstudent <babolatpdtp@gmail.com> writes:

> doing that command didn't do anything. it just gave me a new empty command
> line

.emacs is simply a text file in your home directory.

Create and edit it with C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET, save it with C-x C-s.

-Jens

@ 2008-03-31  8:28     ` Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2008-03-31  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

USFstudent schrieb:
> doing that command didn't do anything. it just gave me a new empty command
> line

This command actually gives you an empty command line after it created the file.

Maybe you should read a book about how everything on a computer works, before
trying to sit in front of one. After you have finished your reading you also
should read a book about the Usenet, especially the chapter about "HOW TO QUOTE".

Greets,
Christian

* Re: Using emacs in terminal of Mac OS Leopard
@ 2008-03-31 19:20       ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-03-31 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Herenz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Christian Herenz <herenz@physik.hu-berlin.de> writes:

> USFstudent schrieb:
>> doing that command didn't do anything. it just gave me a new empty command
>> line
>>

> This command actually gives you an empty command line after it created
> the file.
>
> Maybe you should read a book about how everything on a computer works,
> before trying to sit in front of one. After you have finished your
> reading you also should read a book about the Usenet, especially the
> chapter about "HOW TO QUOTE".

Read a book or online tutorial about Unix basics.

"touch" creates a file or updates the file's modification time if it
already exists.

One of the basic tenets of Unix philosophy (that I wish people would
apply to voicemail systems) is that if a command succeeded, it doesn't
tell you anything in the interaction channel.  If it fails, then you see
the complaints.

,----

| /home/joel/tmp: ZShell> touch nothing
| /home/joel/tmp: ZShell> ls -l nothing
| -rw-r--r-- 1 joel users 0 2008-03-31 15:19 nothing
| /home/joel/tmp: ZShell> screw this
| zsh: command not found: screw
| /home/joel/tmp: ZShell>
`----

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.