* running perl script in eshell on windows permission denied
@ 2008-11-06 18:27 shul
From: shul @ 2008-11-06 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I installed emacs on a windows machine that I am forced to use.
However when I try to execute a perl script that I am editing while in
the eshell
I get error message

./me.pl: Permission Denied

now i notice that
ls -l  me.pl
leaves me with
-rw-rw-rw 1 iis  5 810 Oct 17 11:25 me.pl

of course I can execute it in the M^X shell environment.

I tried chmod 777 me.pl
but it says
chmod: command not found

OK. So what can I do to execute some perl scripts from eshell?
I like eshell. It is so unix like...
Thanks
Mitchell

* Re: running perl script in eshell on windows permission denied
@ 2008-11-06 21:16 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2008-11-06 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

shul wrote:
> Hi,
> I installed emacs on a windows machine that I am forced to use.
> However when I try to execute a perl script that I am editing while in
> the eshell
> I get error message
>
> ./me.pl: Permission Denied
>
> now i notice that
> ls -l  me.pl
> leaves me with
> -rw-rw-rw 1 iis  5 810 Oct 17 11:25 me.pl
>
> of course I can execute it in the M^X shell environment.
>
> I tried chmod 777 me.pl
> but it says
> chmod: command not found
>
> OK. So what can I do to execute some perl scripts from eshell?
> I like eshell. It is so unix like...
> Thanks
> Mitchell

The least you could try is

$ perl me.pl

,but I guess there has to be a win32 equivalent to the unix chmod
command. But I don't know such things.

-ap

* Re: running perl script in eshell on windows permission denied
@ 2008-11-06 22:17 ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2008-11-06 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

shul <meshulum@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I installed emacs on a windows machine that I am forced to use.
> However when I try to execute a perl script that I am editing while in
> the eshell
> I get error message
>
> ./me.pl: Permission Denied
>
> now i notice that
> ls -l  me.pl
> leaves me with
> -rw-rw-rw 1 iis  5 810 Oct 17 11:25 me.pl
>
> of course I can execute it in the M^X shell environment.
>
> I tried chmod 777 me.pl
> but it says
> chmod: command not found
>
> OK. So what can I do to execute some perl scripts from eshell?
> I like eshell. It is so unix like...
> Thanks
> Mitchell

I would highly recommend you check out the cygwin environment, which
will bring you some semblance of a Unix environment.

http://www.cygwin.com

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* Re: running perl script in eshell on windows permission denied
@ 2008-11-06 22:33   ` shul
From: shul @ 2008-11-06 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Politz wrote:

> > OK. So what can I do to execute some perl scripts from eshell?
> > I like eshell. It is so unix like...
> > Thanks
> > Mitchell
>
> The least you could try is
>
> $ perl me.pl
>
> ,but I guess there has to be a win32 equivalent to the unix chmod
> command. But I don't know such things.

Yes!

perl me.pl
works, which solves the real problem!

however i am still curious why the eshell environment creates a
'execute protection' that does
not exist in the native windows environment in the cmd.exe shell.
after all me.pl runs
in the cmd.exe shell and under M^X shell

I guess it may be
a carryover secondary to the universality of eshell, but it seems
strange, since there seems
to be no chmod command here..

thanks.

Also, I cannot install the cygwin environment. I actually am not even
allowed to install
emacs :).

shul

* Re: running perl script in eshell on windows permission denied
@ 2008-11-09 14:17     ` harven
From: harven @ 2008-11-09 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

shul <meshulum@gmail.com> writes:

> Andreas Politz wrote:
>
>> > OK. So what can I do to execute some perl scripts from eshell?
>> > I like eshell. It is so unix like...
>> > Thanks
>> > Mitchell
>>
>> The least you could try is
>>
>> $ perl me.pl
>>
>> ,but I guess there has to be a win32 equivalent to the unix chmod
>> command. But I don't know such things.
>
> Yes!
>
> perl me.pl
> works, which solves the real problem!
>
> however i am still curious why the eshell environment creates a
> 'execute protection' that does
> not exist in the native windows environment in the cmd.exe shell.
> after all me.pl runs
> in the cmd.exe shell and under M^X shell
>
> I guess it may be
> a carryover secondary to the universality of eshell, but it seems
> strange, since there seems
> to be no chmod command here..
>
> thanks.

The following function may be of some help here:
executable-make-buffer-file-executable-if-script-p
Don't know if it works in your environment though.

* Re: running perl script in eshell on windows permission denied
@ 2008-11-09 14:26       ` harven
From: harven @ 2008-11-09 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

harven <harven@free.fr> writes:

> shul <meshulum@gmail.com> writes:

>>> The least you could try is
>>>
>>> $ perl me.pl
>>>
>>> ,but I guess there has to be a win32 equivalent to the unix chmod
>>> command. But I don't know such things.
>>
>> Yes!
>>
>> perl me.pl
>> works, which solves the real problem!
>>
>> however i am still curious why the eshell environment creates a
>> 'execute protection' that does
>> not exist in the native windows environment in the cmd.exe shell.
>> after all me.pl runs
>> in the cmd.exe shell and under M^X shell
>>
>> I guess it may be
>> a carryover secondary to the universality of eshell, but it seems
>> strange, since there seems
>> to be no chmod command here..
>>
>> thanks.
>
> The following function may be of some help here:
> executable-make-buffer-file-executable-if-script-p
> Don't know if it works in your environment though.

There is also a command called executable-chmod in perl-mode.
Hope that helps.