* tramp: locate and grep packages
@ 2009-03-31 12:40 Michal
       [not found] ` <mailman.4366.1238561789.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michal @ 2009-03-31 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo Group Members.

I am using tramp package quite heavilly. It seems to be very usefull.
because of that I noticed that there are some packages I used in "local"
environment that seem not working with tramp, ie. they run local
processes rather than remote ones.
These are 'locate.el' and 'grep.el' packages.

Do You know what are the plans of adapting them to tramp?

Best regards,
MIchal

* Re: tramp: locate and grep packages
@ 2009-04-01  4:56 ` Michael Albinus
       [not found] ` <mailman.4366.1238561789.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-04-01  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michal <rabbit50@tenbit.pl> writes:

> Hallo Group Members.

Hi,

> because of that I noticed that there are some packages I used in "local"
> environment that seem not working with tramp, ie. they run local
> processes rather than remote ones.
> These are 'locate.el' and 'grep.el' packages.
>
> Do You know what are the plans of adapting them to tramp?

Tramp shall support them, using Emacs 23 / Tramp 2.1. Which versions do
you use?

> Best regards,
> MIchal

Best regards, Michael.

@ 2009-04-02 10:28   ` Michal
From: Michal @ 2009-04-02 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Tramp shall support them, using Emacs 23 / Tramp 2.1. Which versions do
> you use?

GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of 2009-03-19 on localhost.localdomain

tramp-version is a variable defined in `trampver.el'.
Its value is "2.1.15"

@ 2009-04-05 12:18     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-04-05 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michal <rabbit50@tenbit.pl> writes:

> Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Tramp shall support them, using Emacs 23 / Tramp 2.1. Which versions do
>> you use?
>
> GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of 2009-03-19 on localhost.localdomain
>
> tramp-version is a variable defined in `trampver.el'.
> Its value is "2.1.15"

You are right, `locate' is not supported yet. There are two problems in
locate.el, at least. It applies `call-process' instead of
`process-file', and it sets the default direcory of the *Locate* buffer
to "/". I'm a little bit reluctant to change it just now, because people
might expect, that `locate' returns always host local results. One would
need a custom option.

Emacs is in the pretest phase, such a change shall be postponed until
after the release. Maybe you raise a bug report for this.

`grep' seems to work in general. But I have seen that there are problems
in passing globbing parameters, like calling "grep -n -e pattern *".
This you could bypass, if you use `grep-find' instead. I will check,
whether I can find a clean solution in Tramp.

> best regards,
> Michal

Best regards, Michael.