* Ido-mode working at half
@ 2010-03-02 14:16 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-03-02 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a strange problem with ido-mode, in short it works for
"switch-to-buffer" but not for find files.
If then I do
- M-x ido-mode
disabling and reenabling it than it works...
That means that something is overriding it (it's just "find-file" in
fact).

Anything that does it should be here:
http://github.com/AndreaCrotti/Emacs-conf/blob/master/.emacs.d/init.el

In general how could I track down what packages are "taking the control"
on what functions?

Thanks

* RE: Ido-mode working at half
@ 2010-03-02 14:45 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-03-02 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrea Crotti', help-gnu-emacs

> Anything that does it should be here:
> http://github.com/AndreaCrotti/Emacs-conf/blob/master/.emacs.d/init.el
>
> In general how could I track down what packages are "taking
> the control"
> on what functions?

First, try using `emacs -Q' and loading only ido. If that works, then, as you
suspected, you probably have something in your init file or custom file that
causes the problem.

To find a problem in your init file, use a binary search. Comment-out half of
it, to see which half causes the problem. Then comment out half of the
problematic half to see which quarter causes the problem. Then comment out half
of the problematic quarter...

Sounds slow and tedious, but it is very quick. You'll be surprised.

* RE: Ido-mode working at half
@ 2010-03-02 15:25   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-03-02 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrea Crotti', help-gnu-emacs

> To find a problem in your init file, use a binary search.
> Comment-out half of it, to see which half causes the problem.
> Then comment out half of the problematic half to see which
> quarter causes the problem. Then comment out half
> of the problematic quarter...
>
> Sounds slow and tedious, but it is very quick. You'll be surprised.

Perhaps I should also have mentioned that it's easy to comment and uncomment a
region of text, using `comment-dwim' (starting with Emacs 21) or
`comment-region' (all versions of Emacs).

`comment-dwim' is bound to `M-;'. I bind `comment-region' to `C-x C-;', and
`C-u' with `comment-region' uncomments: `C-u C-x C-;'.

Commenting a region of text wraps it in a layer of comments. Uncommenting it
just removes that layer of comments, leaving any lines that were commented
previously as they were before you started.

* Re: Ido-mode working at half
@ 2010-03-02 16:19   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-03-02 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> First, try using `emacs -Q' and loading only ido. If that works, then, as you
> suspected, you probably have something in your init file or custom file that
> causes the problem.
>
> To find a problem in your init file, use a binary search. Comment-out
> half of it, to see which half causes the problem. Then comment out
> half of the problematic half to see which quarter causes the
> problem. Then comment out half of the problematic quarter...
>
> Sounds slow and tedious, but it is very quick. You'll be surprised.

Ah thanks a lot, it was easier,
(setq ido-mode t) was half-working while (of course it was wrong who
knows why I did it...)
(ido-mode t) works as expected

Good idea the binary search, it's also what's done looking for bugs in
git repositories more or less...