* Recompile files
@ 2010-04-16  9:53 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-04-16  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was wondering if I should recompile or not all my el files.  At the
moment I notice it takes quite long to boot at my emacs, and I guess
that would make it much faster.

But I also use the same configuration in different OS/versions.

So if I compile on one and then I copy the whole configuration on the
other I guess it might cause some troubles...

How do you handle this?  Should I keep everything compiled on each
machine and not transfer the *.elc files?

But then when I modify something I would again need to compile it
everywhere, and I would need some way to detect this automatically.

Someone has already solved this problem maybe?

Thanks

* Re: Recompile files
@ 2010-04-16 10:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-04-16 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:53:39 +0200
>
> But I also use the same configuration in different OS/versions.
>
> So if I compile on one and then I copy the whole configuration on the
> other I guess it might cause some troubles...

No, it won't.  The *.elc files are OS- and architecture-independent.
So you can use them on any platform without fear, provided that you
have roughly the same version of Emacs installed on all of them.

* Re: Recompile files
@ 2010-04-17  9:29   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-04-17  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> No, it won't.  The *.elc files are OS- and architecture-independent.
> So you can use them on any platform without fear, provided that you
> have roughly the same version of Emacs installed on all of them.

Ok good to know, but I would like to have this done automatically
- at boot recompile every new *.el file which doesn't have the compiled
  version

- check if the .el is newer than the compiled and compile it
  automatically if not

- check that the files are from more or less compiled with the same
  versions and print out a big warning otherwise...

By the way now emacs is eating too much memory, with nothing open
53Mb, just opening GNUS I reached 193Mb :O I don't think that's the normality

* Re: Recompile files
@ 2010-04-17  9:58     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-04-17  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.04.2010 um 11:29 schrieb Andrea Crotti:

> By the way now emacs is eating too much memory, with nothing open
> 53Mb, just opening GNUS I reached 193Mb :O I don't think that's the
> normality

Yes, indeed! You should run GNU Emacs in a virtual machine with X11R1
– then the number of shared libraries was negligible and their size
very small. Dozens of them fit on a 20 MB disk. And there was still
space for a dozen users and their data.

--
Greetings

   Pete

When people run around and around in circles we say they are crazy.
When planets do it we say they are orbiting.

* Re: Recompile files
@ 2010-04-17 10:14       ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-04-17 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Yes, indeed! You should run GNU Emacs in a virtual machine with X11R1
> – then the number of shared libraries was negligible and their size
> very small. Dozens of them fit on a 20 MB disk. And there was still
> space for a dozen users and their data.

Ok good but I'm on a Mac, why should I use a virtual machine only to run
Emacs?

I also like the Cocoa version more than the terminal, and I think that
would not be possible right?

If I'm not wrong some time ago it was not eating so much memory, I guess
it's the configuration that needs a huge diet...

* Re: Recompile files
@ 2010-04-17 10:14     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-04-17 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.04.2010 um 11:29 schrieb Andrea Crotti:

> By the way now emacs is eating too much memory, with nothing open
> 53Mb, just opening GNUS I reached 193Mb :O I don't think that's the
> normality

BTW, does this picture help a bit?

[-- Attachment #2: GNU Emacs mem size.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 17706 bytes --]

Greetings

   Pete

Some day we may discover how to make magnets that can point in any
direction.

* Re: Recompile files
@ 2010-04-17 10:30         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-04-17 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.04.2010 um 12:14 schrieb Andrea Crotti:

> If I'm not wrong some time ago it was not eating so much memory, I
> guess
> it's the configuration that needs a huge diet...

Or the OS... Use Activity Monitor and lsof a bit!

--
Greetings

   Pete

To most people solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists
solutions
are things that are still all mixed up.

* Re: Recompile files
@ 2010-04-17 13:39       ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-04-17 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> BTW, does this picture help a bit?

Yes thanks, well running Emacs -q (always cocoa) and only loading gnus I
get more or less your values...
So I'll have to restructure my conf, which I'm already doing passing to
org-mode configuration...

But WTH is emacs-24? Are you ahead on time?

* Re: Recompile files
@ 2010-04-17 14:55         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-04-17 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.04.2010 um 15:39 schrieb Andrea Crotti:

> But WTH is emacs-24?

It's the new development version.

> Are you ahead on time?

No. Right now I'am probably a few hours behind...

--
Greetings

   Pete

When Richard Stallman goes to the loo, he core dumps.