* Emacs suddenly not printing
@ 2013-09-04  3:52 ara
From: ara @ 2013-09-04  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Suddenly, Emacs doesn't print, anything.

Opening messages are below, and Emacs says it has streamed
to the Default Printer, yet the printer icon of the Xfce
screen at top right doesn't come on.

Libre-Office Writer will print OK. Print icon on.
Other applications will print OK. Print icon on.

This may have happened when I installed TexLive recently.
I'm still having problems with TexLive, as I chose custom
directories to install to, rather than its defaults.

I have uninstalled Emacs and Org, rebooted, then
reinstalled both (Emacs via the Ubuntu Software Centre).
No change, identical symptoms.

Anyone have any suggestions for trouble-shooting this ?
Its almost solely a Ubuntu issue, except Emacs seems to
be the only thing not working.

Ubuntu 12.04LTS, studio version with Xfce desktop
GNU Emacs 23.3.1  with Org-mode 8.07
TeX, Version 3.1415926 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)

(source)...done
(source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
temp.txt has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Making completion list...
Send current buffer to default printer? (y or n)
Spooling...done

* Re: Emacs suddenly not printing
@ 2013-09-04  8:06 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-09-04  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.09.2013 um 05:52 schrieb ara:

> This may have happened when I installed TexLive recently.
> I'm still having problems with TexLive, as I chose custom
> directories to install to, rather than its defaults.

TeX Live does not fiddle with the printing sub-system. If it does, then it's a feature of the Ubuntu packages that install TeX Live.

> Anyone have any suggestions for trouble-shooting this ?

You can stop the printer queue (with lpc, as superuser). This means that print jobs are still queued in but not sent to the printer. This gives you the opportunity to check what data is actually fed into the queue. Based on these findings you can act.

> Its almost solely a Ubuntu issue, except Emacs seems to
> be the only thing not working.

Check the settings in GNU Emacs! Instead of ps-print commands you can use their ps-spool variants! They open a *PostScript* buffer. You can check the PostScript code and see whether Ghostscript can handle, i.e., display it or convert it to PDF.

--
Greetings

  Pete

There are very few jobs that actually require a penis or vagina. All other jobs should be open to everybody.
				– Florynce Kennedy