* Debugging matlab with emacs and avoiding matlab editor
@ 2009-09-10 11:48 Torben Knudsen
       [not found] ` <mailman.6384.1252587877.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Torben Knudsen @ 2009-09-10 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using matlab mode in emacs to run matlab without using any of the
matlab buildt in GUI.  However, when I use debugging eg. "dbstop
error" the matlab editor opens.  Does anyone know how to avoid this?
--
Associate Prof. Ph.D Torben Knudsen	Mobile	: (+45) 2787 9826
Section of Automation and Control,	Direct	: 6 8694

* Re: Debugging matlab with emacs and avoiding matlab editor
@ 2009-09-10 13:04 ` David Engster
       [not found] ` <mailman.6384.1252587877.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Engster @ 2009-09-10 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Torben Knudsen <tk@es.aau.dk> writes:
> I am using matlab mode in emacs to run matlab without using any of the
> matlab buildt in GUI.  However, when I use debugging eg. "dbstop
> error" the matlab editor opens.  Does anyone know how to avoid this?

com.mathworks.services.Prefs.setBooleanPref('EditorGraphicalDebugging', false);

If you use the latest matlab-mode (http://matlab-emacs.sf.net), it
should insert that line for you automatically.

-David

@ 2009-09-11  7:41   ` Torben Knudsen
From: Torben Knudsen @ 2009-09-11  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Torben Knudsen <tk@es.aau.dk> writes:
>> I am using matlab mode in emacs to run matlab without using any of the
>> matlab buildt in GUI.  However, when I use debugging eg. "dbstop
>> error" the matlab editor opens.  Does anyone know how to avoid this?
>
> com.mathworks.services.Prefs.setBooleanPref('EditorGraphicalDebugging',
> false);

I have use the above as a matlab command but it does not stop the
matlab editor from opening on errors when debugging.

> If you use the latest matlab-mode (http://matlab-emacs.sf.net), it
> should insert that line for you automatically.

I use matlab.el 3.0.1.  What is the differense between this version
and the one above you suggest?

--

@ 2009-09-11  8:05   ` Torben Knudsen
From: Torben Knudsen @ 2009-09-11  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2009-09-11 11:36     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2009-09-11 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Torben Knudsen <tk@es.aau.dk> writes:
> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>> Torben Knudsen <tk@es.aau.dk> writes:
>>> I am using matlab mode in emacs to run matlab without using any of the
>>> matlab buildt in GUI.  However, when I use debugging eg. "dbstop
>>> error" the matlab editor opens.  Does anyone know how to avoid this?
>>
>> com.mathworks.services.Prefs.setBooleanPref('EditorGraphicalDebugging',
>> false);
>
> I have use the above as a matlab command but it does not stop the
> matlab editor from opening on errors when debugging.

I don't know any other method. You can disable usage of Java completely
by appending "-nojvm" to the Matlab command switches (M-x
customize-variable RET matlab-shell-command-switches RET), but then you
also won't be able to use anything else that requires Java.

>> If you use the latest matlab-mode (http://matlab-emacs.sf.net), it
>> should insert that line for you automatically.
>
> I use matlab.el 3.0.1.  What is the differense between this version
> and the one above you suggest?

It works better with recent Matlab versions, for example.

-David