* When to choose defsubst
@ 2007-03-31 15:03 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-03-31 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I tried to find an easy answer but failed miserably at it :/

So my question is this: when/why should I use a defsubst ?

Xavier

* Re: When to choose defsubst
       [not found] <mailman.1675.1175530252.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-02 17:31 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-04-02 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I tried to find an easy answer but failed miserably at it :/
> So my question is this: when/why should I use a defsubst ?

Never.

        Stefan

PS: `defsubst' is like `defun' except it additionally tells the
    byte-compiler that this function should be inlined at every call site.
    In some rare cases, it can make a noticeable performance difference,
    but these are very rare, so you should only do that after noticing an
    actual performance problem and finding out where time is spent (with
    elp, typically).
    The reason not to use `defsubst' is that it does not behave well w.r.t
    debug/advice/trace/...