* Question about ELPA - package eev not updated from upstream
@ 2022-09-26  0:45 Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2022-09-26  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi list,

usually when I update the file eev.el in the git repository of eev
ELPA notices that, and it updates the version of eev in ELPA in at
most 24 hours... but this time this didn't happen. Links:

  https://github.com/edrx/eev/blob/UTF-8/eev.el
  https://github.com/edrx/eev/blob/master/eev.el

  https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/eev.html

Should I look for error messages? Where?
  Thanks in advance!
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/#eev

* Re: Question about ELPA - package eev not updated from upstream
@ 2022-09-26  2:28 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-09-26  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eduardo Ochs [2022-09-25 21:45:04] wrote:
> usually when I update the file eev.el in the git repository of eev
> ELPA notices that, and it updates the version of eev in ELPA in at
> most 24 hours... but this time this didn't happen. Links:
>
>   https://github.com/edrx/eev/blob/UTF-8/eev.el
>   https://github.com/edrx/eev/blob/master/eev.el
>
>   https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/eev.html
>
> Should I look for error messages? Where?

`help-gnu-emacs` is a mailing-list for Emacs users, who can't really
help you.  There's indeed a problem on `elpa.gnu.org`.  It should be easy
to fix, but sadly, this happened at the same time as a problem on the
machine I use to access `elpa.gnu.org` to which I'll only get
access tomorrow.  So, things should get back in order tomorrow.

* Re: Question about ELPA - package eev not updated from upstream
@ 2022-09-26  3:05   ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2022-09-26  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 25 Sept 2022 at 23:29, Stefan Monnier via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Eduardo Ochs [2022-09-25 21:45:04] wrote:
> > usually when I update the file eev.el in the git repository of eev
> > ELPA notices that, and it updates the version of eev in ELPA in at
> > most 24 hours... but this time this didn't happen. Links:
> >
> >   https://github.com/edrx/eev/blob/UTF-8/eev.el
> >   https://github.com/edrx/eev/blob/master/eev.el
> >
> >   https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/eev.html
> >
> > Should I look for error messages? Where?
>
> `help-gnu-emacs` is a mailing-list for Emacs users, who can't really
> help you.  There's indeed a problem on `elpa.gnu.org`.  It should be easy
> to fix, but sadly, this happened at the same time as a problem on the
> machine I use to access `elpa.gnu.org` to which I'll only get
> access tomorrow.  So, things should get back in order tomorrow.
>

>         Stefan

Oops and thanks =)
  Eduardo

* Re: Question about ELPA - package eev not updated from upstream
@ 2022-09-28 18:11   ` Felix Dietrich
From: Felix Dietrich @ 2022-09-28 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Eduardo Ochs [2022-09-25 21:45:04] wrote:
>
>> usually when I update the file eev.el in the git repository of eev
>> ELPA notices that, and it updates the version of eev in ELPA in at
>> most 24 hours... but this time this didn't happen.
>>
>> Should I look for error messages? Where?
>
> `help-gnu-emacs` is a mailing-list for Emacs users, who can't really
> help you.

The home page of <https://elpa.gnu.org/> states:

#+begin_quote
- If you need help, you could try the help-gnu-emacs mailing list.
- For general inquiries, please contact the emacs-devel mailing list.
#+end_quote

I am not sure how “help” and “general inquiries” are delineated.
Anyway, is this information not correct?

--
Felix Dietrich

* Re: Question about ELPA - package eev not updated from upstream
@ 2022-09-29  3:10     ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-09-29  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Felix Dietrich [2022-09-28 20:11:54] wrote:
> Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:
>> Eduardo Ochs [2022-09-25 21:45:04] wrote:
>>
>>> usually when I update the file eev.el in the git repository of eev
>>> ELPA notices that, and it updates the version of eev in ELPA in at
>>> most 24 hours... but this time this didn't happen.
>>>
>>> Should I look for error messages? Where?
>>
>> `help-gnu-emacs` is a mailing-list for Emacs users, who can't really
>> help you.
>
> The home page of <https://elpa.gnu.org/> states:
>
> #+begin_quote
> - If you need help, you could try the help-gnu-emacs mailing list.
> - For general inquiries, please contact the emacs-devel mailing list.
> #+end_quote
>
> I am not sure how “help” and “general inquiries” are delineated.
> Anyway, is this information not correct?

Its neither incorrect nor very precise, indeed.
`help-gnu-emacs` is a mailing list where Emacs *users* are expected to
lurk and help each other.
`emacs-devel` is where Emacs developers are expected to be found.

When your problem can/should be solved by editing your init file and/or
installing packages, `help-gnu-emacs`  is the right place.  When your
problem can be fixed only by changing Emacs itself or some part of
Emacs's infrastructure, `emacs-devel` (or `bug-gnu-emacs`) is the
right place.