* emacs24 slower than emacs23
@ 2014-02-07 21:41 Ryo Furue
From: Ryo Furue @ 2014-02-07 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I've recently switched from emacs23 to emacs24 on Debian testing.  (The new one is called "Version: 24.3+1-2+b1".)  I haven't made any changes to my ~/.emacs and everything works, except that emacs24 is noticeably slower than emacs23, sometimes painfully so.

Most of the slowness is tolerable, but one issue is painful.  When I'm using emacs24 on "X over SSH" and start to select portion of text (region) by pressing Ctrl-Space, the cursor movement becomes extremely slow, that is, it takes a lot of time to select a region.

Are there some settings to adjust to fix this problem?  I run emacs on an Debian server and my local machine is a Mac OS X machine running Xquartz.

In passing, I notice most new Linux applications aren't usable on X over SSH because they tend to use GUI decorations too much.  Traditional ones like emacs, xdvi, xpdf, xterm, etc., happily run on X over SSH, but they are minority.  If emacs becomes unusable, I'll probably have to stop X over SSH and perhaps rely on a cloud-shared directory (like Dropbox) or use tramp on local emacs.

Cheers,

Ryo