* RE: Filling and one-letter words at end of line
@ 2004-11-08 18:38 JayBingham
       [not found] ` <mailman.1514.1099952102.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: JayBingham @ 2004-11-08 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

<Send replies only to the list not to this address>

OnFriday, November 05, 2004 9:55 PM Maciek Pasternacki wrote:

> What is funny is that english one-letter words (`I' and `a') are
never
> filled at end of line.

I am curious as to why you think this is true.  I just did a quick
test in emacs 21.3 running on my Win2000 PC and I do not see the
above behavior.   I entered a paragraph where both `a' and `I' are
the final words on subsequent lines in the paragraph.  I can find
nothing in the emacs info file or the emacs lisp reference that
describes any options to do what you are describing.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    Hewlett-Packard
.    Austin, TX
. “Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.”     -Dr. George W.
Crane-

* Filling and one-letter words at end of line
@ 2004-11-06  3:55 Maciek Pasternacki
From: Maciek Pasternacki @ 2004-11-06  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use Emacs to type texts in polish, which is my native language.  It
has a few frequently used one-letter words.  I also use both
auto-fill-mode (on by default) and, when reformatting text,
fill-paragraph and other manual filling commands.  The problem is that
these one-letter characters shouldn't occur at end of line, and fill
commands frequently places them there.  I usually place them manually
now but it's bothersome.  What is funny is that english one-letter
words (`I' and `a') are never filled at end of line.  Is there some
way to tell Emacs not to fill *any* one-letter words at end of line?

Thanks in advance,

		--japhy

--
__    Maciek Pasternacki <maciekp@japhy.fnord.org> [ http://japhy.fnord.org/ ]
`| _   |_\  / {  Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an