* Can the <delete> key and C-d be specified separately?
@ 2011-04-07 20:50 B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2011-04-07 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I changed the behavior of C-d with

(global-set-key "\C-d" 'backward-delete-char-untabify)

but that also changed the <delete> key binding (to right of main
keyboard) to work the same as C-d. Now I have 3 backspace keys and no
delete key. What do I have to do to make C-d backspace and Delete work
as it did originally? I want C-d  = backspace for ergonomic reasons
(since I don't have a left half of a split spacebar to assign it to).

Thanks,

Ed

* Re: Can the <delete> key and C-d be specified separately?
@ 2011-04-07 21:52 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2011-04-07 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Never mind. In this order

(global-set-key "\C-d" 'backward-delete-char-untabify)
(global-set-key [delete] 'delete-char)

the rebindings seem to work.

@ 2011-04-10  3:08   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-04-10  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Never mind. In this order
> (global-set-key "\C-d" 'backward-delete-char-untabify)
> (global-set-key [delete] 'delete-char)

The order doesn't matter.  When you hit `delete', Emacs uses the binding
of C-d unless there is a binding for `delete'.