* early-init and tool-bar-mode question
@ 2019-02-21  1:40 Ergus
From: Ergus @ 2019-02-21  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi:

I am trying to test the actual master branch new features and I have
a question about the early-init.el usage.

I can see that it is possible to set:

(setq electric-indent-mode nil)
(setq menu-bar-mode nil)
(setq tool-bar-mode nil)
(setq scroll-bar-mode nil)
(setq tooltip-mode nil)

In order to set this before the configuration is done. (Like a
substitution for custom file)

The expected behavior should be that for example the tool-bar will
be not shown. Or the others.

Apparently if I set this in this way, the tool-bar is always shown in
terminal-mode, but in the graphical version it is not.

So could you please tell me what is missing here?

* Re: early-init and tool-bar-mode question
@ 2019-02-21  3:19 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-02-21  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (setq electric-indent-mode nil)
> (setq menu-bar-mode nil)
> (setq tool-bar-mode nil)
> (setq scroll-bar-mode nil)
> (setq tooltip-mode nil)

These are all minor modes, so to disable them you want to *call* them.
Just setting the var is likely not to be quite good enough (tho it will
sometimes work, admittedly):

    (electric-indent-mode -1)
    (menu-bar-mode -1)
    (tool-bar-mode -1)
    (scroll-bar-mode -1)
    (tooltip-mode -1)

> Apparently if I set this in this way, the tool-bar is always shown in
> terminal-mode, but in the graphical version it is not.

I've never seen the tool bar in terminal mode, so your description
sounds very strange.